Plasmacam with Hypertherm 1000

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
railmaker
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Plasmacam with Hypertherm 1000

Post by railmaker »

I have a Samson 510 by plasmacam. I have had it for about13 years. I run a Hypertherm 1000. Lately it has been randomly firing and intermittently showing the red fault light and saying it can’t sense the material. I have checked the wiring for any fault areas, but have not found any. Could this just be the ohmic sensing head or a problem with the cutter itself? Any help would be much appreciated. TIA
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam with Hypertherm 1000

Post by rdj357 »

IF the torch is randomly firing then you likely have a sticking control pad button. Use Machine Diagnostics to look to see if the test button is yellow or flashing yellow when not being pressed. Not sensing the material can be an issue with connection between the ohmic wiring and the shield but it may also be related to the issues on the control pad.
railmaker
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by railmaker »

Thank you! I will check in diagnostics today and pull the torch apart and clean the head and install a new retaining cap, shield, electrode and nozzle. thanks again.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Curious what you find out, please post back with your findings :Like
railmaker
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by railmaker »

I tried the diagnostics. Sometimes it showed the xy being solid yellow but no flashing yellow. I activated all the buttons several times. After the machine is initialized and I run the diagnostics, it becomes inactive and I have to reinitialize it. Could it be the control box is to cold, because it is very cold in my shop right now. I have not checked out the torch head yet.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Remove the controller box and check to see if the main wiring harness plug has worked itself out of the box plug. The wiring harness moves, and that movement finds its way down to the controller. if the plug is not FULLY inserted and LOCKED in with that crappy little tab, the plug will wiggle out over time, until one or more of the contacts is not fully engaged.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”