Hello from Utah

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Tbadger
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello from Utah

Post by Tbadger »

I’m a recently retired software product manager, and now venturing into plasma cutting. I’m hoping to build a CNC plasma cutter this spring, using the parts from a now retired CNC Router I built (I’m building a new one). Most of the materials and parts are on hand, so it is a matter of designing it and then constructing it. I have a small shop that includes most of the tools I need, including a small CNC mill, two drill presses, welding equipment, and much more. Mostly what I want to learn about here is the use of a floating plasma mount, one that I can build myself, and how it functions. My plasma cutter is a Harbor Freight 45 Titanium, which I plan to wire it up for plasma cutting. So far I’ve been pretty happy with it and have had no issues cutting up to 3/8” mild steel plate. Most of what I plan to cut is 11-16 gauge mild steel pate.

Looking forward to reading about the successes and failures of the members here.

-Trent
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from Utah

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome Trent. Sounds like you have a well equipped shop! Plenty of folks here have built their own cnc plasma machines and willing to share their experiences so I am sure you will find the information you need. Best of luck and show some pics of your build as you go :Like
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from Utah

Post by acourtjester »

Ah yes another DIY type there are some of us here, I have build 10 tables for either router or plasma or both. Great site for info as there and member for all over and with different experiences that are willing to help. Floating head assembly is not hard to construct and is very useful for use with plasma, both for safety and material sensing. Your experience with a router table is a great plus as you already have the big picture.
Happy to help. You can make direct contact with member by using the Private messages. Click on the balloon where is shows contact on the right side, this connects you the Private messaging feature from PS.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”