Plasmacam 4x4 to 4x8 on a budget

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
1MORECUT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam 4x4 to 4x8 on a budget

Post by 1MORECUT »

Robert, I know someone who bought four 4x4 angles from PlasmaCAM for $1200 shipped ,so they will sell you parts for your table.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:17 pm
acourtjester wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:51 am the complete DIY build would be easier. Many member out there doing great work with other software
Heck a brand new spiffy Iron Worker would pay out on this project as well :HaHa :HaHa
No, no. The whole object of this concept is to just bolt two tables together so that no fabrication is needed. Except that little bit of modifying of 4 of the legs and drilling or slotting 8 holes. Keep it simple! At least that’s how I understand it.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 4x4 to 4x8 on a budget

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:30 am Have you ever ordered legs from them? I know they are said to sell controllers a la carte even though they are not listed but I've never heard of anyone buying a leg. It's not an unreasonable part to fabricate and of course if they did sell legs and hardware, the 510 center leg and related pieces would be of value if you abandoned the 4x4 times two concept. Buying piecemeal parts and assembling wouldn't really be proving your concept, would it?
I would LOVE to be able to order the two 510 center legs! this would allow me to make a 4x8 table out of two 4x4 tables so easily. They do sell these parts, but I don't THINK they have stacks of legs lying around. I think their tables come from China in the crates and packed as we receive them. I could be wrong. MAYBE they really do just receive boat loads of parts, and assemble the crated tables in Colorado. :roll:

I THINK they cannibalize ONE DHC2 table in the crate, or one 510 table in the crate for the parts, and continue to pull parts from the "carcass" until all sellable parts have been sold. They may have three or four opened 4x4 and 510 tables in the warehouse, from which they pull these parts, and charge accordingly, such that selling only 1/2 of the table at their retail prices will PAY for the entire table at their cost. If the tables come crated from China, this would make sense.
I know it's your hard earned money so I'd definitely look for a good deal or consider selling parts to recover some of the investment but new would definitely look better in the coming pictures!
I really would like to do this with two NEW tables. I just don't know if PlasmaCam will sell me one table WITHOUT a controller or a DE license, and another table WITHOUT a controller, or DE license, or the boom arm, the main harness, the gantry assembly or the carriage assembly. I can move the controller from my 510 table to this "experimental" 4x8 for testing, so I really do not want to spend the money for two MORE DesignEdge licenses that I will never use, as well as all of those other expensive "extra parts."

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Well Joe you are entitled to you opinion, and are so in love with DesignEdge. Personally I may be to much of a rebel, but I hate to be locked into only one type of anything, (except my wife of 55 year) :Yay I like finding out if the grass is greener on the other side. With the 10 tables I built I change things like software and electronics, the table were sold to people who used them and sold parts to many other to copy my table. they may not have been Rolls Royces but they were not Yugos either. You can spend your money how you want and buy what you want, and I will do the same, I am not a follower. you may equal the enjoyment I have with my choices but not exceed them. :Yay :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:35 pm
acourtjester wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:51 am the complete DIY build would be easier. Many member out there doing great work with other software
Heck a brand new spiffy Iron Worker would pay out on this project as well :HaHa :HaHa
No, no. The whole object of this concept is to just bolt two tables together so that no fabrication is needed. Except that little bit of modifying of 4 of the legs and drilling or slotting 8 holes. Keep it simple! At least that’s how I understand it.
Is a six - pack version available for the more robust user?
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

1MORECUT wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:32 pm Robert, I know someone who bought four 4x4 angles from PlasmaCAM for $1200 shipped ,so they will sell you parts for your table.
:Wow
Wow, very interesting! I can see why one would get them from Plasmacam since they're powder coated that pretty blue. The stuff from my metal guy for $4.50 a foot wouldn't be nearly as good! :wink:
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 pm
rdj357 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:35 pm

Is a six - pack version available for the more robust user?
I'll bet they'd double it and give you half off! Can you imagine the possibilities with SIX 4x4 tables bolted together! :Wow
rdj357

Re: 4x4 to 4x8 on a budget

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:57 pm
I would LOVE to be able to order the two 510 center legs! this would allow me to make a 4x8 table out of two 4x4 tables so easily.

Joe
Huh?? I thought the point was that bolting two 4x4 tables together was simple and outside the box thinking and much easier than putting them together like the 510 is done?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

It is simple. the 510 center legs are already made, so getting two of them would be about the same work as bolting the legs together. Still, some modification would be needed, because the ends of the 510 frame that come together at the center are different than the ends that meet the legs. The only advantage of using the 510 legs would be the boom arm mount, but drag chains and a relocated controller would negate that.

This project will be put on hold for a couple of months.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

1MORECUT

Post by 1MORECUT »

Here's all the parts to make a 4x8 table all you would need is rails and a grate system
20231003_103809.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

1MORECUT

Post by 1MORECUT »

20231017_154515.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

That is truly awesome! The only thing I would want to see is drag chains on the table in place of the boom arm. You certainly did a scale model of the 510, and I am sure it would work GREAT! Will tis frame accept the standard 4x4 grates? I ask because the grates on a 510 have a different end where they overlap across the center of the table, so the stock 510 grates would work, but they would all have to be cut down in length at the table frame ends.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

1MORECUT

Post by 1MORECUT »

The drag chain will not work with my free standing pipe cutting setup. I will be working on a grate system.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

1MORECUT wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 pm The drag chain will not work with my free standing pipe cutting setup. I will be working on a grate system.
I don't understand. Why can't you put a drag chain on the carriage, on the stationary gantry tube?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

A six pack would be fun, but that would require a gantry double the stock width. That means fully custom parts.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”