Hello everybody

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Digger873
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello everybody

Post by Digger873 »

I am getting in to the plasma cutting as a hobby machinist. I bought a used torchmate growth series with all new accumove 2 controller, cables, motors,the new z axis breakaway assembly and THC. The table is in good shape but, the motors are waaaay under powered, and the table is almost unusable. Torchmate support was helpful at first, but have been less than helpful when I ask about upgrading the motors, controller, or the lead screws.
The last time I talked to them they told me to stop calling them and call some guy in Illinois. So I have decided to switch to the centroid controller, with stepper drives that actually match the amperage of the motors I have. (Torchmate used a 6 amp stepper with a 2.8 amp driver.)
If the motors dont work that way I guess Im buying new ones sooner than I thought.

Anyway, I am starting to build the control panel and am looking forward to getting more information from this forum as so far the most usable info I have found on the accumove 2 has been here.
Thanks
Jared

Pictures of my conversion/table
https://shantzconstruction-my.sharepoin ... g?e=O4UHng
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Hello everybody

Post by cuttinparts »

Welcome Jared! Sounds like an in depth project! I have seen the Centroid controller systems advertised here for some time now and have been seriously considering revamping my table with one of their controller packages also. I am very curious to hear your thoughts and experience with your Centroid upgrade and hope to see you post some more info as your project moves ahead.
thejaydog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by thejaydog »

I'm gonna call baloney...you have an Old and Outdated table you bought from someone other than Lincoln, but still expect free technical support.
Call FORD and ask for support on your old EDSEL car and see how far you get...sorry for the rant
Last edited by thejaydog on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Digger873 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:22 am I am getting in to the plasma cutting as a hobby machinist. I bought a used torchmate growth series with all new accumove 2 controller, cables, motors,the new z axis breakaway assembly and THC. The table is in good shape but, the motors are waaaay under powered, and the table is almost unusable. Torchmate support was helpful at first, but have been less than helpful when I ask about upgrading the motors, controller, or the lead screws.
The last time I talked to them they told me to stop calling them and call some guy in Illinois. So I have decided to switch to the centroid controller, with stepper drives that actually match the amperage of the motors I have. (Torchmate used a 6 amp stepper with a 2.8 amp driver.)
If the motors dont work that way I guess Im buying new ones sooner than I thought.

Anyway, I am starting to build the control panel and am looking forward to getting more information from this forum as so far the most usable info I have found on the accumove 2 has been here.
Thanks
Jared

Pictures of my conversion/table
https://shantzconstruction-my.sharepoin ... g?e=O4UHng
Jared - Good luck with your conversion project. Nothing at all wrong with trying to bring an older table back to life. I'm using several of the Centroid Acorn controllers on my cnc machines, along with the cnc12 software. They work great!! Sometimes the challenge and enjoyment is much greater working with a project such as yours as opposed to simply buying a new or used "turn-key" system. Lots of fun to be had!!

David
Digger873
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Digger873 »

Thanks Adbuch,
And to you jaydog, I did in fact buy an older table with brand new in the packages updated motors, z axis assembly, accumove controller, and an updated torch height controller. It was from another individual who spent quite a bit of money on the updates, so whether it is him or me is irrelevant, Lincoln was paid. That in no way equals free support.
I would also invite you to educate yourself about the way lincoln does business. You cannot activate the software without calling tech support. You cannot set the ratios of the screws without calling tech support. The end user does not have access to these settings, only tech support. When asked about upgrading the motors, or controller, I was told I couldnt upgrade it. When I asked about changing from the original direct drive system to the pulley system (their pulley system btw) I was told they would not support that and I would be on my own. How can I be on my own with a system that I dont have access to the basic ratio settings. Their answer was dont call us anymore. I never asked for anything free, in fact was willing to spend money to stay with their product, just not buy a new table.

Its hard to compare an Edsel to a product that the new release video on you tube was only 8 years ago and upgrades that are newer than that, but I can say if I have to work on a ford thats 3 to 10 years old the info I need is out there for me to access, and nowhere in fords literature does it say, .. well read it for yourself at the bottom of every page,
https://torchmate.com/uploads/images/PD ... cumove.pdf
So You are welcome to your opinion but what I said is the truth. Enjoy your baloney sandwich.
BTW there are still shops out there depending on the very same equipment I have to make their living so.
Have a great day
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Digger873 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:04 am
I would also invite you to educate yourself about the way lincoln does business. You cannot activate the software without calling tech support. You cannot set the ratios of the screws without calling tech support. The end user does not have access to these settings, only tech support. When asked about upgrading the motors, or controller, I was told I couldnt upgrade it. When I asked about changing from the original direct drive system to the pulley system (their pulley system btw) I was told they would not support that and I would be on my own. How can I be on my own with a system that I dont have access to the basic ratio settings. Their answer was dont call us anymore. I never asked for anything free, in fact was willing to spend money to stay with their product, just not buy a new table.

Jared - some of this sounds a little bit like the Plasmacam philosophy. Software activation sometimes requires calling tech support, particularly if moving the software from one pc to another. Some of the older Plasmacam tables are no longer supported, but at least there are (in most cases) upgrade options offered to bring an older table up to the current software/hardware level. Design Edge does allow for changing the "turns ratios" if you have the software upgrade which allows this ($998 for the customizable size option). So to me, it actually sounds the Lincoln situation is far worse than Plasmacam.

I did purchase the Torchmate TMCad software several years ago as it has several drawing features that I was interested in. The software can be installed on multiple computers at no additional cost, but the software "dongle" must be plugged into the particular pc being used. This might be better than the Plasmacam method - which requires purchasing an additional software seat for each additional pc - $500 for the first additional seat and $250 per seat for additional seats after that. However - there is no comparison between Design Edge and TMCad - night and day difference. Design Edge is the best!
Digger873
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Digger873 »

Well it is the way the world works I guess, I was just disappointed with lincoln and the way they handled it. But I didnt start this thread to bash lincoln, they are free to do what they see fit for them. I only wrote what I did to give background on what lead me to decide to go with Centroid and convert it.
I am however trying to use the new stepper motors that were under powered with TMs system (I hope because of the low amperage of the controller), to try to recoup some of the money I spent on the TM stuff.
If I cant use them with the direct drive to the lead screw I will have to convert to a pulley system to get a lower gear ratio, (which I cant do if I cant access the settings in the Accumove 2), or buy bigger motors, or convert to ballscrews, or R&P, or both bigger motors and change of drive system.
Eventually I would like to do both anyway but right now, even though its a hobby, I need to get this table operational quickly as I have 3 seperate projects to do to for my excavating company.
This forum seems to be the best source of info out there for plasma cutting there is so, here I is :Yay
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

Digger873 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:21 am Well it is the way the world works I guess, I was just disappointed with lincoln and the way they handled it. But I didnt start this thread to bash lincoln, they are free to do what they see fit for them. I only wrote what I did to give background on what lead me to decide to go with Centroid and convert it.
I am however trying to use the new stepper motors that were under powered with TMs system (I hope because of the low amperage of the controller), to try to recoup some of the money I spent on the TM stuff.
If I cant use them with the direct drive to the lead screw I will have to convert to a pulley system to get a lower gear ratio, (which I cant do if I cant access the settings in the Accumove 2), or buy bigger motors, or convert to ballscrews, or R&P, or both bigger motors and change of drive system.
Eventually I would like to do both anyway but right now, even though its a hobby, I need to get this table operational quickly as I have 3 seperate projects to do to for my excavating company.
This forum seems to be the best source of info out there for plasma cutting there is so, here I is :Yay
Great attitude and outlook on the whole situation :Like Stepper motors are pretty affordable these days if you did end up having to upgrade them for more power so you can use the drive mechanics already in place. Hope to see what end up with when your project is complete.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Good luck with your adventure!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
thejaydog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by thejaydog »

"And to you Digger873, you did in fact buy an older table with brand new in the packages updated motors (not available from Lincoln any more. z axis from Flashcut cnc assembly, Accumove controller ,is not new and an updated torch height controller from Flashcut cnc. It was from another individual who spent quite a bit of money on the updates, so whether it is him or me is irrelevant, Lincoln was paid. That in no way equals free support." Good for that individual, and thanks for his support.

FYI Lincoln hasn't sold those tables in many years and are in fact discontinued. They have NO PARTS Avail for that dinosaur anymore. You expect free tech support? be kind...your expecting a lot for ZERO investment...stop
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

thejaydog wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm "And to you Digger873, you did in fact buy an older table with brand new in the packages updated motors (not available from Lincoln any more. z axis from Flashcut cnc assembly, Accumove controller ,is not new and an updated torch height controller from Flashcut cnc. It was from another individual who spent quite a bit of money on the updates, so whether it is him or me is irrelevant, Lincoln was paid. That in no way equals free support." Good for that individual, and thanks for his support.

FYI Lincoln hasn't sold those tables in many years and are in fact discontinued. They have NO PARTS Avail for that dinosaur anymore. You expect free tech support? be kind...your expecting a lot for ZERO investment...stop
Older table or not, he's on the right track with his planned improvements and modifications. We all wish him good luck and look forward to seeing his progress with his new project.

David
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

thejaydog wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm "And to you Digger873, you did in fact buy an older table with brand new in the packages updated motors (not available from Lincoln any more. z axis from Flashcut cnc assembly, Accumove controller ,is not new and an updated torch height controller from Flashcut cnc. It was from another individual who spent quite a bit of money on the updates, so whether it is him or me is irrelevant, Lincoln was paid. That in no way equals free support." Good for that individual, and thanks for his support.

Sounds like you have the inside scoop on this thejaydog...are you affiliated with Torchmate?
thejaydog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by thejaydog »

nope
Digger873
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Digger873 »

Hmmm, "thanks for his support" sure sounds like you are affiliated with TM to me.
"0 investment" = $3500, based on a well known brand name.
"Motors not available anymore" = https://www.torchmatestore.com/Stepper- ... _3186.html and https://www.torchmatestore.com/FEMALE-X ... _3330.html
and a picture of mine
20231028_140137.jpg
you can see they were built in 18, which is not that old.

"Z axis from flashcut assembly" = Here is a pic of the z axis I have that is used for the 44 48 and 51 tables https://www.torchmatestore.com/44004800 ... 4992593743
They are still selling these tables so while they might have updated the z axis assembly since mine it sure isnt a dinosaur.
and a picture of mine,
20240228_121906.jpg
"THC from flashcut" = https://www.torchmatestore.com/Height-C ... _3338.html
and of course a picture of mine,
20240228_121855.jpg
And of course there is the R&P drive assemblies they could have sold me to update my tables drive system. All I would have had to do is mount the rack and had them set the settings up for THEIR r&p drive system.
https://www.torchmatestore.com/4x00-Sid ... _3344.html.
So yeah they were less than helpful.

I didnt "Expect" anything, you are making assumptions for what ever reason, about something you know nothing about.
Nothing you say will change the facts or my decision to move on. Let it go.

I have, and as I said Im not here to bash Torchmate, they did what they thought was best for them. I have moved on, and spent
considerably more money switching to Centroid Acorn Plasma, where I am not dependant on a company that doesnt want my business to set up my machine. Im sorry if that upsets you but its the truth.
Have a great day.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jared - some folks just like to cause trouble and criticize- it's just noise!! Best to simply ignore the naysayers and move on with your great project. You've got a great start and we are here to try to help you if we can.

David
Digger873
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Digger873 »

Thank you sir,
I appreciate it.
thejaydog
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member