Need help converting PCM to DXF or DWG

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
captcb251
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Need help converting PCM to DXF or DWG

Post by captcb251 »

Hello,

Have had my plasmacam for a while, but it was put away as I was pursuing other work. Now I am back in my shop full time and trying to get my table up and running and utilize it more.
Has a customer request a staircase filler with coral. I completed the drawing, but since my table is not yet set up, I was going to have a friend cut it out for me. Well, I did not realize that Plasmacam has it's own type of files (PCM), so he was not able to cut it. I understand it can be converted, but guess I do not have the right program to do it. Can someone reach out to me that can help and I will send the file over. Customer is ready to get this one done, and I am as well.

The file is attached below! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris Bryant
mobayconsulting@gmail.com
McWilliams Staircase.pcm

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need help converting PCM to DXF or DWG

Post by Joe Jones »

Hi Chris,

The official position of PlasmaCam and the DesignEdge software license FORBIDS the use of designEdge software with the Advanced Design Upgrade to do conversions of PCM files to DXF files for other table owners. These types of conversions tend to anger the PlasmaCam gods, because you are having a PCM file exported in DXF format without paying for the Advanced Design Upgrade ($998.00 from PlasmaCam) which I HIGHLY suggest you add to your DesignEdge license ASAP. It really is worth the money.

This design is a hot mess. So many errors! It was not even in any condition to cut as a PCM file. So many overlapping paths and intersections, and fragments, etc. The finished piece would have been a disaster.

Just this one time only, I corrected all of the errors and created a CLEAN file for you to use. If you need anything else converted, you will have to buy the Advanced Design Upgrade.

If you need help getting your PlasmaCam table up and running again, or setting up or updating your DesignEdge software, contact me and I will help you get that together.

Joe
JJ-McWilliams StaircaseDXF.dxf
JJ-McWilliams Staircase.pcm
jj-rail jpg.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

How do they know what happens to the dxf file once it's created? Do they insert spyware code to see if it's opened on a different computer?
Sure am glad my table builder doesn't own me.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:58 pm How do they know what happens to the dxf file once it's created? Do they insert spyware code to see if it's opened on a different computer?
The point is that PlasmaCam doesn't want someone like me to offer a free "PCM to DXF Conversion" service, (or even worse, to PROFIT from such a venture :-o ) because it causes other PlasmaCam table owners to choose NOT to pay for the Advanced Design Upgrade for their own table license. Like it or not, it is IN the license agreement that you sign when you activate your own license, so to then ignore it on a large scale (not just the one-offs) is a clear violation of the license agreement. It is no different than splitting a cable so your neighbor can also enjoy HBO even though HIS cable service does not offer it.

In this particular situation, we are in an economy where this man's ability to put food on his family's table this month MIGHT hinge on whether or not he can produce these rails for his customer, using the file that is not in DXF format. So I decided to convert this ONE file for him, this ONE TIME. However, I am not offering a PCM to DXF conversion service!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

captcb251 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 am Hello,

Have had my plasmacam for a while, but it was put away as I was pursuing other work. Now I am back in my shop full time and trying to get my table up and running and utilize it more.
Has a customer request a staircase filler with coral. I completed the drawing, but since my table is not yet set up, I was going to have a friend cut it out for me. Well, I did not realize that Plasmacam has it's own type of files (PCM), so he was not able to cut it. I understand it can be converted, but guess I do not have the right program to do it. Can someone reach out to me that can help and I will send the file over. Customer is ready to get this one done, and I am as well.

The file is attached below! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris Bryant
mobayconsulting@gmail.com
McWilliams Staircase.pcm
Chris - I did take a look at the pcm file you created. Did you do this from an auto trace of an existing image, did you do a manual trace over an existing image, did you create it from scratch, or is was this an existing file given to you by someone else? In any case, as has been pointed out - it does have a few problems such as open paths, overlapping path segments, etc. I assume you are using Design Edge, but don't have the advanced upgrade which allows for export as dxf. If you plan to do much more of this, I would recommend studying up on Design Edge - the Video Manual would be a good place to start. Also online tutorial videos are available.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:58 pm How do they know what happens to the dxf file once it's created? Do they insert spyware code to see if it's opened on a different computer?
I am not aware of any rule or Plasmacam policy which would prevent or discourage sharing pcm, dxf, etc. vector files with anyone else. No - there is not any spyware code. So - no, they don't know what happens to the dxf file once it's created.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:46 pm
I am not aware of any rule or Plasmacam policy which would prevent or discourage sharing pcm, dxf, etc. vector files with anyone else.

David
There is a difference between "sharing a DXF file" and using YOUR Advanced Design Upgrade to convert a proprietary PCM file to DXF format for someone who has not paid for that privilege by purchasing the advanced design upgrade for his or her own license.

I did this ONE TIME for him, because it sounds like it means the difference between getting or LOSING this job, and in this economy, that can mean the difference between paying the bills or NOT paying the bills this month.

However, I do not make a habit of doing this conversion for people who have not added the Advanced Design Upgrade to their own DesignEdge license.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

No. However in this example, the OP stated that he tried to give a proprietary PCM (PlasmaCam) file to someone with another brand of table that cannot use PCM files, and so he requested that the file be converted to DXF format, which I did this one time, in the hopes that it will prevent him from losing this job, or this customer. He will get his Samson 510 table set up and there will be no further issues.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:30 pm Like it or not, it is IN the license agreement that you sign when you activate your own license, so to then ignore it on a large scale (not just the one-offs) is a clear violation of the license agreement.
So, it's okay to violate the license agreement if you only do it occasionally and don't make a habit of it?
How about if you share your cable and your neighbor only watches HBO occasionally?
Who makes the determination of how much is enough to violate the agreement?
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:12 am
Joe Jones wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:30 pm Like it or not, it is IN the license agreement that you sign when you activate your own license, so to then ignore it on a large scale (not just the one-offs) is a clear violation of the license agreement.
So, it's okay to violate the license agreement if you only do it occasionally and don't make a habit of it?
How about if you share your cable and your neighbor only watches HBO occasionally?
I am also unaware of any policy barring this. I would be interested to hear an official correspondence from PlasmaCAM and how it would violate their license agreement. Shall we also not be allowed to use their software to draw for other people? Maybe PlasmaCAM could issue a press release to clarify this prohibition? I agree DJ - if one interprets it to be a violation of the license agreement then how is it that once is OK but twice is not? What is the threshold?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

No, it is not okay. However, I work to help PlasmaCam table owners. I help them learn the software. I visit them to teach them how to use their software and run their tables. I stock spare parts that I occasionally mail out to owners to expedite repairs and get them out of tight situations. I help people fix errors in files.

I do not believe the situation above is your every day "Do this for me so I don't have to buy the Advanced Design Upgrade." It is a situation where the OP has a Samson 510 table that is currently not functional. He has the PCM file (which needed a LOT of work) and he has the software to cut the PCM file, but not the ability to cut it at the moment.

So he introduces a friend who has (presumably) a NON-PlasmaCam table that can cut it, but his software does not recognize the PCM format. If it meant he loses the job (read: income) because of his situation, then I made an exception. My own 510 table is currently not operational, or my first offer would have been to cut the panels for him and deliver them to a job site. So that option is off of the table for now.

It will not hurt PlasmaCam, nor cause them to lose revenue. In fact, I have encouraged the OP to purchase the upgrade, so he can do his own PCM to DXF conversions in the future. I have demonstrated the BENEFITS of paying for the upgrade, and I will not convert any further files for him. What has ANYONE ELSE here done in recent memory, to encourage people to spend money at PlasmaCam? :roll:

<crickets>

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:52 pm then I made an exception.
What gives you the right to make exceptions to explicitly written PlasmaCam rules?

It's because of silly rules like this that I try and steer people away from PlasmaCam.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:52 pmWhat has ANYONE ELSE here done in recent memory, to encourage people to spend money at PlasmaCam? :roll:

<crickets>

Joe
LOL......

Nothing that I need to hyperbolize here.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I have sent an email to PlasmaCam, asking for clarification on this point, and I will post their reply here.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:30 pm
Joe Jones wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:52 pmWhat has ANYONE ELSE here done in recent memory, to encourage people to spend money at PlasmaCam? :roll:

<crickets>

Joe
LOL......

I am not talking about your classes, Robert. I am talking about here on PlasmaSpider. I do not see a lot of effort to steer people TO PlasmaCam tables and software.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:08 pm
What gives you the right to make exceptions to explicitly written PlasmaCam rules?
That is the point. I do not know if they ARE "explicitly written." :roll:
It's because of silly rules like this that I try and steer people away from PlasmaCam.
And yet, it is still the best selling cnc plasma table around. :mrgreen:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:08 pm

I'm not aware of any such written rule. There is a moral dilemma if one does in fact believe that such a rule exists and still chooses to make exceptions based on their own judgement.

I love doing what I do and teaching what I teach. I don't love some of the business choices PlasmaCAM makes but I do like their machines and software and so recommend them for those reasons. I understand that there are pros and cons and certainly understand why, exacerbated by overdramatization on this forum, people might be steered away from and/or want to steer people away from the company.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:33 pm
rdj357 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:30 pm

<crickets>

Joe
LOL......

I am not talking about your classes, Robert. I am talking about here on PlasmaSpider. I do not see a lot of effort to steer people TO PlasmaCam tables and software.

Joe
I'm not talking about classes either, Joe. This is not a competition and I'm not an employee of PlasmaCAM either in sales or support. I do my best to provide accurate and concise help when and where I can across this and many other forums. No crickets chirping around here.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I do not know for a fact, if this policy is IN the license agreement, or it is merely a "policy" that PlasmaCam adheres to.

Years ago, TEAM VIEWER popped up. it was learned that people could access the PCs of other table owners REMOTELY. This presented a problem for PlasmaCam. After all, why should I purchase the Advanced Design Upgrade or the automatic Nesting Upgrade, if I can log onto YOUR PC and use those features for FREE?

So a new update was released that put the kibosh on remote access of DesignEdge software. I BELIEVE at the time, there were TWO issues to address:

1. Remotely accessing software upgrades that you have not purchased for your own DesignEdge license

2. Remote physical operation of a MACHINE, which might result in injury or worse, since the remote operator has no EYES in the shop where the table is being operated remotely.

At that time, I believe PlasmaCam came out with some declaration or policy that involved one table owner benefitting from an upgrade which they did not purchase. I do not know if that was restricted TO remote access, or if the policy extended to "Convert this file to .dxf so I don't have to buy the Advanced Design Upgrade."

I just DON'T KNOW! Which is why I sent an inquiry to PlasmaCam. To get the answer.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:44 pm
I do my best to provide accurate and concise help when and where I can across this and many other forums.
You DO do that well :Yay

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I believe it will all boil down to the difference between,

"Here is that file in .dxf format..."

and

"File Conversions in 30 minutes or less! $2.00 each, or six for $10.00! (.pcm, .dxf., .svg, .pdf, etc.)"

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Aren't you allowed to make money using their software?
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:43 pm Aren't you allowed to make money using their software?
It isn't about making money. It is about using your software to help another person AVOID upgrading their own software. I don't know. I could be totally wrong on this. I am sure PlasmaCam will reply, and then I will know, and I will share their official answer to my questions.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Oh, and by the way, nice staircase insert!
LOL!!
very amusing fellers :) LMBO!!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”