Hi All, New Here

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Hi All, New Here

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Hi all, I am a new one to this forum, and looking to find great information from you guys here. I was a programmer and operator of CNC turret presses, press brakes in the sheet metal fabrication area. Now, I have a small CNC plasma table and am learning it. I hope to get great information from you guys here, and as I get better, share what I have learned with you.
Thanks,
CNC_rowdy
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Hi All, New Here

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Yes, I forgot to mention, I am in Fort Worth Texas and have a PlasmaCam Go Torch.
Thanks,
CNC_rowdy
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Hi,

Did you only buy the basic machine, or did you get any software upgrades for your GoTorch?

I know that after buying the machine, it is a bit of a "GOT'CHA!" to learn that it will do almost nothing unless you buy the various upgrades for the software. The PlasmaCam tables are awesome, but the software that comes with the GoTorch is BARE BONES.

I always advise people to get "The Big Three" upgrades, Advanced Design Software, Advanced Machine Control and Advanced Height Control, but for a GoTorch owner, that equates to about $5,000.00 in additional software. :Wow I know ... You just paid $4K for the machine!

I can help you learn the software online if you wish. I do that for fun, but if you only have the basic software that comes with the GoTorch, there isn't a whole lot you can do with it beyond importing a .dxf file and cutting it manually. The GoTorch does not come with design software, or height control software. It only comes with the basic machine control.

Which plasma cutting machine are you going to use with your GoTorch? Or are you planning to mount a router, or a laser, or a paint pen, or something else to the carriage?

The GoTorch is a capable machine WHEN it has the proper software package in the DesignEdge license.

Feel free to contact me about your new adventure, and I will help you in any way that I can.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Welcome! I know other owners in your region and am a ways north of you in Oklahoma. I just talked to a guy who does CNC machining and is taking up HVAC to use for his stuff. I'm an HVAC guy and have taken up manual machining as a hobby. I have had a table several years and have taught them for about 5 years in private classes and for a couple states since they have these tables in their technical ed departments. If i can ever help, let me know!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:24 pm Welcome! I know other owners in your region and am a ways north of you in Oklahoma. I just talked to a guy who does CNC machining and is taking up HVAC to use for his stuff. I'm an HVAC guy and have taken up manual machining as a hobby. I have had a table several years and have taught them for about 5 years in private classes and for a couple states since they have these tables in their technical ed departments. If i can ever help, let me know!
Robert - please tell me more about your hobby manual machining, what sorts of machines/tools you are using, and what sorts of projects you have been making. Thanks!

David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm Robert - please tell me more about your hobby manual machining, what sorts of machines/tools you are using, and what sorts of projects you have been making. Thanks!

David
I bought an old Clausing 14” x 48” model 6913 lathe at auction and have been working to clean it up and get it up to good condition. Like many auction finds, it was owned by an old man who had used it in a job shop for years. It was well taken care of but as he aged, it was left a mess. I’m almost done replacing both ends of the hydraulic variable speed control (Clausing still has parts!) and have made several parts and pieces that I’ve needed for other projects. Then I got (and am rebuilding) a G0616 Grizzly mill - it’s a 12”x51” Horizontal/Vertical mill. Uses 2 separate motors and spindles for horiz/vertical, 3hp. The input shaft had a gear missing a tooth so I’m remaking that shaft (using the lathe and the horizontal spindle of the mill). I also picked up a big ole Invicta 5MR shaper (up to 21” stroke, 24” traverse”). I’ve been accumulating tooling and things. Last add was a Thermolyne heat treat oven. Once I’m done cleaning and restoring this old equipment, I hope to do a little job shop work here. I’ll bring a little more of the Snap’NCut manufacturing in-house (plenty for the CNC friend of mine to keep lol) and use for prototyping in metal rather than just 3D prints.

I’m just having fun with it lol
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Thanks for the greeting words Robert and Joe. On the Go Torch, I purchased all three of the main ADVANCED options for this machine. I made a stand up frame for it along with a 16 ga SS water bed. I am retired from sheet metal work with my back ground running and programming AMADA CNC turret punch presses and press brakes. I have since built up my own small sheet metal shop which includes the Go Torch, three diode lasers, three small press brakes and to many other things to list. Now, I kinda wished I would have gotten a four by four plasma table. But, I am having to much fun with the Go Torch.
CNC_rowdy
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:35 am Thanks for the greeting words Robert and Joe. On the Go Torch, I purchased all three of the main ADVANCED options for this machine. I made a stand up frame for it along with a 16 ga SS water bed. I am retired from sheet metal work with my back ground running and programming AMADA CNC turret punch presses and press brakes. I have since built up my own small sheet metal shop which includes the Go Torch, three diode lasers, three small press brakes and to many other things to list. Now, I kinda wished I would have gotten a four by four plasma table. But, I am having to much fun with the Go Torch.
CNC_rowdy
Awesome! Those upgrades are key to success for sure. Glad you’re enjoying it and you can always get parts and expand it to a larger table later.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:35 am Thanks for the greeting words Robert and Joe. On the Go Torch, I purchased all three of the main ADVANCED options for this machine. I made a stand up frame for it along with a 16 ga SS water bed. I am retired from sheet metal work with my back ground running and programming AMADA CNC turret punch presses and press brakes. I have since built up my own small sheet metal shop which includes the Go Torch, three diode lasers, three small press brakes and to many other things to list. Now, I kinda wished I would have gotten a four by four plasma table. But, I am having to much fun with the Go Torch.
CNC_rowdy
I too started with the gotorch. and purchased the advanced design $2k and basic height $1K. My excuse for the 2x2 was that my shop was too small to buy the 4x4, and when I purchased mine it was only $3k. And I knew what I was getting into and read all the Cr@$ about plasmacam, but saw through most of it. And it has ben everything I have wanted or even needed up to this point.
But after about a year of running the 2x2, and being tired of indexing so many things (which was good practice in hindsight), I loved mine so much that I expanded to a 4x4 and booted one of my welding machines out on the covered patio behind my shop to make a little more room. It was well worth making the machine bigger.
You will need to get the customizable size upgrade in order to get it to a 4x4 or any other size @ $998. Once you buy that upgrade, you can make it pretty much any size you want for about the same price, especially if you build your own table and so-forth. If I had the room I would have made mine into a 4x8 so that I could load full sheets on the thing. I too am a sheet metal worker and love to tinker at home. lots of fun!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

What plasma cutter are you using with your gotorch?
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Hi All, New Here

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Hey tinspark, I got a Hypertherm XP 45. It works great for me. Also, i got a brand new Everlast 60 or what ever it is called. I have made my own table for the Go Torch along with a 16 ga SS water table. One day, I will try and post a pix of it. I mostly cut 20 and 16 ga. and use fine cut consumables. I have done some etching or marking with this XP 45. Great machine. I have cut 3/16 plate with no cut burr. It was set the the book specs, but it cut at a taper. I'm new, still learning.
CNC_rowdy
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Advanced Design Edge, Machine Control, Height Control
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Hypertherm XP 45 Plasma Cutter
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

OH yes, tinspark, forgot to mention, I have quit the sheet metal business. I have run and programmed CNC machines for the last 40 years, Lasers, turret punch presses, etc.. I should have started my own shop. At any rate, I do a little indexing on the Go Torch.
CNC_rowdy
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Sounds like you know our stuff. lots of experience.
The 45 XP is an awesome plasma cutter.
It is the same model that I use on my expanded 4x4 gotorch.
welcome aboard. This is a fun place to hang out.
I am always learning stuff here, and sharing what I can!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I also use the 45xp on my Plasmacam rotary tube cutter. I generally use the FineCut consumables and have had great success. I used the 45xp to cut these Christmas candle holders several years ago. I made the wood bases from mdf on my Avid cnc router table. It was a fun project and the girls really enjoyed the Christmas gifts.

David
20191224_025206_resized - Copy.jpg
20191224_024916_resized_1.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:05 pm OH yes, tinspark, forgot to mention, I have quit the sheet metal business. I have run and programmed CNC machines for the last 40 years, Lasers, turret punch presses, etc.. I should have started my own shop. At any rate, I do a little indexing on the Go Torch.
CNC_rowdy
I have often wished I had one of the little GoTorch tables. It would be great as a portable cutter and may offer some versatility that my larger DHC 4x4 lacks. I remember that Plasmacam offered them at a special sale price of $3K about a year ago. That would have been a great deal!!

David
CNC_rowdy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

David,
Great work on the rotary tube parts. That looks like an item to have.
CNC_rowdy
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:43 pm David,
Great work on the rotary tube parts. That looks like an item to have.
CNC_rowdy
Thanks! It does come in handy from time to time.

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”