Recommendations on settings for cutting this sign

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
dovrosenberg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Recommendations on settings for cutting this sign

Post by dovrosenberg »

I am cutting my first large sign on my home built CNC Plasma cutter. The size is about 20" x 15". My cutting surface is about 28"x 30". I have a 60amp Primeweld Cut 60 torch and a 27 gallon compressor. I am looking to use an aluminum plate that is 10 ga (3.4mm). The cut setting chart says I should use 40amp, 55 PSI, 99.61 in/min (2530 mm/min). I do have a brand new 40 amp nozzle I can use.

Fusion took awhile to process the toolpath. It claimed that there were areas that were omitted, but I didn't see any in the simulation. The biggest problem I have had so far is the required dross clean up. This is the largest thing I have tried to cut so far and I am concerned with the intricate details of the cut.

Fusion is saying the cut time will be 6 min and 23 sec. If my compressor runs low - can I pause the cut in order for the compressor to get caught up? I was thinking of maxing out the tank before starting and hoping the regulator on the plasma is accurate.

Bear Sign.png
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Recommendations on settings for cutting this sign

Post by acourtjester »

to help your compressor you can break up the cut paths into sections and generate G-code for each returning to X0 and Y0 at the end. Then just start another cut path. Easy to do with SheetCam not sure how easy with Fusion.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Recommendations on settings for cutting this sign

Post by weldguy »

I believe any omitted areas will not show in your simulation because they would have not been included in the extrusion. I would go back and do the extrusion again and have a look for any areas being left out. That being said if Fusion left those areas out they likely wouldn't cut properly anyway so you may be best to just leave it as it sits.

If your compressor has a hard time keeping up a good thing to do is slow your traverse speed down significantly and the long travel times from 1 cut tot he next will give the compressor time to catch it's breath. Small compressors that are overworked have a tendency to generate a lot of moisture so be sure to keep your tank drained 1 or more times a day and ensure you you have a very good filtration system to eliminate any oil, moisture, tank debree, etc.

Do some test cuts first to get things dialed in and let us know how it turns out for you.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”