Wiring up my new 85

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Wiring up my new 85

Post by Retro »

Hello there,
i purchased a used Powermax 85 with an Handheld torch. I already got the mini machine torch but have no idea on how to wire up the torch on/off signal.
The cutting voltage is already wired up but i can't find any info on how to wire up the simpler thing like firing the thing up. I don't have the CPC-Outlet and i won't purchase it if not necessary.
Where should i look up this?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Wiring up my new 85

Post by adbuch »

This depends on the table and controller you have.
David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I have the PlanetCNC controller and a selfmade table. I just need the wires to my relais like my old plasmacutter. Close the curcuit, lets go, open it, stop.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If you don't have this jack on the rear of the unit you cannot fire the torch from you controller. I when through this with another guys buy of a new Hypertherm unit. This has 2 signals you need to have one to fire the torch and the other Arc voltage.
hypertherm CNC jack.JPG
hypertherm CNC jack.JPG (26.11 KiB) Viewed 342 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Alright, then i need to spend more money on my machine. Great. Is there a retailer in germany/EU for Hypertherm-Parts? I only got a few from the US so the sending would cost more than the part itself.

Do i get from the CPC Outlet a divided voltage or the raw one? I need the raw one.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The adapter from Hypertherm has the Voltage divider built in but I sure there are connections shown on YouTube for the Raw voltage for a Hyperther you may also find a circuit diagram to hook the torch fire. so you don't need the cable adapter from Hypertherm. Be careful as the Raw output will be over 100 volts(Dange Danger will robberson)
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

If you download the service manual for your Hypertherm, there are wiring diagrams in it. You should be able to locate the internal connections that the cpc connect to. If you don't want to purchase the cpc, you can just connect to the points internally.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Alright! I figured it out!
Thanks for the tip with the service manual. Didn't even know, there was smth like that.
I took the voltage right from the board (ground and the red wire/red thing thats attached to the cable) and the Trigger is connected to the machine torch input. I works fine so far.
But it seems strange to me (who never had a Hypertherm Cutter or even used one) that after releasing the trigger (even with the handheld torch) the air still flows. When i click the trigger once more it stops. If i hold it longer it will stop and fire shortly after again. Is that normal?

The next thing i need to figure out is the ohmic height sensor. I already have a wire to the torch and now i need to find the right components for that. Is the version with the water detector still up to date?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Retro wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:50 am
But it seems strange to me (who never had a Hypertherm Cutter or even used one) that after releasing the trigger (even with the handheld torch) the air still flows. When i click the trigger once more it stops. If i hold it longer it will stop and fire shortly after again. Is that normal?

Yes - that is normal.

David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Then its alright. But i'll have to set the time for the first move then a second later or so. Since it first shuts down.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Retro wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:47 am Then its alright. But i'll have to set the time for the first move then a second later or so. Since it first shuts down.
The Hypertherm mechanized cut charts list the pierce delay time for the various materials and thicknesses.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Be sure you are using the correct switch setting on the front for CNC operations, I use the second click CW. Are you asking about the optional use of a Water Switch (electronics module) which has been used by some in the past. The contact output is connected to the Probe input of the controller. And you will need to use a Post Processor that will place the probe command in the G-code. This is a G31 in most post processors, this is different from the G28 for the Floating head switch.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I already have an Probe connected to the controller. It was for my NPN height Sensors. When it reached 1 mm above the metal it saved the position and set the distance to 1 mm. Now i need to figure out how to wire the ohmic Feature. The last time i tried the ohmic on my Kjellberg Plasma, it blew up my Opto Relais.
Is there a official wiring diagram for that since its one one of Hypertherms features?

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”