ClearPath servo

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

ClearPath servo

Post by acourtjester »

HI
I am working out a problem I am having the a servo motor from ClearPath, with a 23 size motor. As shown in the video it is with the dynamic braking function of the motor. It seems others have had similar problems and I wanted to check with member here. Simple check is to manually move the axis without power on. As shown in the video the first motor will momentarily stop the motion then release to continue the moving. The non-working motor will not stop but just smoothly move as indicated in the video. Thanks for your help with my research with the problem.

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: ClearPath servo

Post by DieselFumes »

Hey Tom I have played with those motors a little and although I did not have the same problem as you I had a similar issue. Ended up updating the firmware in the motor and the problem went away. Maybe this is your issue, maybe not, but thought I would mention it.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks I have been communicating with a Tech at ClearPath, not done yet. Worked on it again today and still not right, real bad bounce t low speed. I will pass it by the Tech about the firmware update.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Update the tech from Clearpath did a remote tune on the servo motor and things are working well now. They use a program called GoToMyPC to remotely connect with the on site PC and run their "Auto Tune" program making changes on the fly watching how things are going. After the tune is stored on the servo and back up on the Hard Drive.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

I have a question about Auto Tune: How does it work with two motors on an axis? Since it has to be done with the motor moving the load ......
We have a controller that will handle 4 or 5 cClearPath motors and works up to 100 ft of cables. We don't sell it to individuals because of the tuning required. . We do not have a table with the test motors we have on it so tuning was just open loop (no load).
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

tcaudle wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:10 am I have a question about Auto Tune: How does it work with two motors on an axis? Since it has to be done with the motor moving the load ......
We have a controller that will handle 4 or 5 cClearPath motors and works up to 100 ft of cables. We don't sell it to individuals because of the tuning required. . We do not have a table with the test motors we have on it so tuning was just open loop (no load).
That's a very good question Tom, I too am curious now how that would be done.
acourtjester wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:19 pm Thanks I have been communicating with a Tech at ClearPath, not done yet. Worked on it again today and still not right, real bad bounce t low speed. I will pass it by the Tech about the firmware update.
Thats great Tom, glad you got it sorted out :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The Auto tune does not work with dual motor axis setups, there are YouTube video showing how to work around that. You would use a single motor axis and load it with what you think the weight of the other axis is and do the auto tune on that. Then copy the tune data on to the other motors on the dual setup.
Her it is
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy