Thin Guage .022 Stainless help

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
xztvdy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thin Guage .022 Stainless help

Post by xztvdy »

I'm currently using a Minigraph with a TD A80 power source. I'm getting great quality cuts on steel , but cannot figure out this thin stainless. My charts stop at .036 and I've played with the voltage and speed with no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thin Guage .022 Stainless help

Post by plain ol Bill »

Leatherhands I'm probably wrong - but I think you are way off on cut height. I have cut 22ga. stainless w/ my Hypertherm 1250 at 40 A (don't remember cut speed but it was up there) and used a cut height of .010. Yes, 10 thousandth. This is Hypertherms reccomendation for stainless. You need a good THC and get the torch from pierce height to cut height quick.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm's FineCut consumables do an exceptional job on thin stainless, and Bill is correct...they need a good height control as they operate at very low voltage at .01" off the plate. T-D does not have an equivalent set of consumables...and their recommended cut heights are always higher than Hypertherm's......different torch technology.

Jim Colt
xztvdy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by xztvdy »

Thanks for all the info. I kind of thought I would need to drop down to 30A.

I will have to say if I had been given the chance to have some input as to the purchase of our unit, I would have chosen Hypertherm also. Jim has helped everyone on here regardless of which machine they have.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”