Chemical to turn mild steel to copper color

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
fixinto
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Chemical to turn mild steel to copper color

Post by fixinto »

Does anyone know the chemical used to turn mild steel to a copper color. I saw it in Texas and the lady said her husband used it to do this. She told me there are other colors available also. He just sprays in on and then washes it off. She gave me a source, a guy in Oklahoma, but I lost the info.
Thanks in advance
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Chemical to turn mild steel to copper color

Post by fitzy »

just googled it. might it be copper sulfate it fits the best as far as wiki goes hope this helps
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I am trying for the same affect. from what I am told its off the shelf chemicals but I have no idea how to do it yet. I am hopefully going to get some one to show me the ropes of doing this treatment soon. most of the guys that know how to do this guard there secret. it is a very cool look and brings much more to the product. good luck If i get the training I will try and share it.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I just found this site. looks like some good info

http://www.johnsearles.com/patinas-steel.htm
fixinto
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by fixinto »

Thanks guys. I think ya'll are on the right track. I googled it and came up with "patina" term. There are several good sites. as far as I can tell it is just accelerating RUST. I am going to play with it and see if I can achieve the unique look I'm searching for.
Again, THANKS. "If you want to know something, ask the experts" :D
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Wine Country »

Hello all,
You can buy this chemical through King Architectural. I have been using it for months now. It is made by Metal Finishes .
You can get an online video tutorial through their website too. I use their rusting chemicals also. Great stuff!
Marty
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Wine Country »

Hello again,
The website for the metal patination chemicals is www.metalfinishesplus.com. I feel you will be impressed with what they
have to offer. They even have chemicals to turn the copper plating green and multi colored. Check it out.
Marty
jrios
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jrios »

Our store is a supplier of metal finishes AZ STEEL AND ORNAMENTAL SUPPLY.TUCSON AZ..we sell it in oz quarts and gallons ....we have all the metal finishes..its pretty cool stuff if you know how to use it right you can make some sick llooking parts.....it can get pretty pricy when your plannig on doing a finish on a door or fence cuz you have to seal it with a very good clear coat or the acid willl just eat away at it...

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”