CNC Engraver

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

CNC Engraver

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

Hello,

Im in the process of installing a CNC Engraver / Air Pencil on my Plasma table. Ive figured out how i want to mount it. Just dont know how to make it work properly within SheetCam or Mach3.

How do i get the program to tell the solenoids to add air to the cylinder so it drops the Engraver to the sheet then pick it back up.. Any advise or expertise is welcomed. I just couldn't get myself to spend $1500.00 on a setup from PlasmaRoute.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
transon1
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC Engraver

Post by transon1 »

I built my own engraving machine and I am not too familiar with the commercial versions. My engraver is not a spring loaded diamond engraver, it is a high speed diamond cutter. I use CorelDraw X4, X5 and 12 to make my designs and save as DXF or other type of files as needed. I use CamBam to convert the splines to polylines, I set my depths, cut speeds all that in CamBam and also create my G-code in CamBam. I also use Mach3. If you can perhaps provide more details of what is used to actually drive the axis etc I might be able to help. My name is Tracy and you can send me an email KnottyWoodCrafts@live.com
Tracy Ranson

Owner
Knotty Wood Crafts and Katerina Collection
https://www.artyah.com/browse?FullTextQ ... ts&x=0&y=0
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

I want to mount this next to my torch on my CNC Plasma Table. My main concern is how to get the program to tell the solenoids when to drop the air tool down to material and when to pick it back up for travel. Kinda like the how the plasmas setup...

Maybe im going bout this the wrong way.... Does anyone have pics of their Engraver mounted on there CNC plasma Table? Can anyone tell me how it works.... air? Ballscrew and sensor? Floating head?

PM me with details
Thanks
I see spots
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by I see spots »

click here

nice write up on CNCZONE
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Thanks abunch. That helps out alot.

PM me with details
Thanks
cutterguy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cutterguy »

I'm dreaming of building a scribe for my table to. I have a couple of questions.

1. Why do you need 2 solenoids? Wouldn't it work to supply the cylinder and the scribe from the same source even if you used differant regulaters?

2. Can you mount the solenoids at the end of the table? Is there not a substanial delay from the time the contoller tells the solenoids to open and the cylinder moves?

3. Does Sheetcam have an option to put in a delay so the the scribe will lowers before the gantry starts moving?

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”