Powermax 65 Serial Port

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Powermax 65 Serial Port

Post by DesertFabworks »

Does any one know about the serial port option on the Powermax 65? I'm looking at getting the powermax 65
and there are two different models not sure if there is much of a difference for my needs. Both show having the CPC port and the selectable voltage ratio and the one model shows a serial interface port. Both are the machine torch.

If anyone can tell me if I really need the serial port or what difference it will make I would appreciate it.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 65 Serial Port

Post by jimcolt »

The serial port, available on the Powermax 65 and 85 models, is technology that has been brought into our air plasma systems from our high end industrial systems. It will allow for more of the plasma functions......such as amperage, air pressure and diagnostics to be interfaced and controlled directly from the computer that runs the cnc machine. To use this...the cnc machine or software developer will have to write an interface for the serial data. There are a few companies working on this functionality at this time.....and we will see more of its use in the future.

You don't mention what your application is....so I cannot really advise you as to your needs! If you have a Hypertherm Edge Pro cnc control on your machine...the Powermax65/85 serial link will be plug and play.

For the majority of cnc plasma machines today..the CPC interface (for use with the machine torch only) has interface functions and connections for plasma start, arc transfer (also known as "ok to move" or "arc good") and has a variable divided voltage output that will work with some cnc manufacturers torch height controls.

You can add the serial port to a Powermax65/85 after its purchase as it is available in kit form.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

rescueweasel wrote:Does any one know about the serial port option on the Powermax 65? I'm looking at getting the powermax 65
and there are two different models not sure if there is much of a difference for my needs. Both show having the CPC port and the selectable voltage ratio and the one model shows a serial interface port. Both are the machine torch.

If anyone can tell me if I really need the serial port or what difference it will make I would appreciate it.
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

Thanks Jim,

I have a custom built air plasma system and I'm looking to upgrade some of the components. I plan o getting the the Blade Runner Dragon Cut system to go with the Powermax 65. I think I will be ok without the serial add on from what I have read about the Blade Runner unit. Good to know that I can add it on later if I want.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

CandCNC (manufacturer of the BladeRunner CNC kits) is working on a system that will interface to the serial port on the Hypertherm Powermax65 /85 systems. These systems will give you some of the same type of automation features as found on industrial cnc machines that sell for over $100k. I'm sure they will be anouncing this new technology soon.

Jim Colt

rescueweasel wrote:Thanks Jim,

I have a custom built air plasma system and I'm looking to upgrade some of the components. I plan o getting the the Blade Runner Dragon Cut system to go with the Powermax 65. I think I will be ok without the serial add on from what I have read about the Blade Runner unit. Good to know that I can add it on later if I want.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”