Perplexed...Wavy cuts with pcam and pmax 65

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Eggman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Perplexed...Wavy cuts with pcam and pmax 65

Post by Eggman »

Lots of great info here...just can't find the answer to my problem.

Equipment: Plasmacam 5x10 with Hypertherm 65 machine torch....using fine cut nozzle #220930, electrode#220842, swirl ring #220857, shield #220948, and #220854 holder(?). Using 16 ga steel.

Problem: cut lines are horrible. Virtually dross free to dross free. Really happy with that. But any lines that are cut are partially straight and then go wobbly. Looks like I have a drunken plasmacam. Al new consumables. Cut speed was 250 ipm at 45 amps...when going slower, same or different amps or faster, doesn't matter. Same results. Air drier is clean and dry, pressure to Pmax 65 is 120psi. Was cutting great about a week ago. We have only had this for about 3 months.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
Attachments
See how the letters go all kinds of crooked?
See how the letters go all kinds of crooked?
IMAG0700.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Perplexed...

Post by WSS »

The pics help. It looks like the wiggles all head in the same direction. Check your spur gears where they engage the rail, you may have a piece of dross or something stuck in the gear. I doubt it would be the rail. That would be a good place to start, also check to make sure the spurs are tight on the shaft.

WSS
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

There is something mechanically loose (most likely)....check pinio gears, motor mount bolts, carriage roller cam bearings, torch mount.....anything that could have loosened mechanically.

There also is a possibility that you have accidentally changed a drive setting....such as acceleration. Best bet there is to talk with PlasmaCam tech service.....or join and go on the PlasmaCam owners forum and post your pics there.....you will likely get a quick response there.

Jim Colt
Eggman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eggman »

Thanks WSS and Jim. I went over it today with a fine tooth comb. Couldn't find anything that was loose. I did find s few places that had what looked like paint that had separated from the gantry and side rails that had caused some bumps. Cleaned them up and got rid of the paint bumps, slightly better, not what it should be.

Eggman
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by trucks1948 »

Just a thought ,but can you do some straight line cuts on both x and y and see if its on one or the other to narrow it down?
Eggman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eggman »

Seems to be obvious mostly on the letters, I will try to check both x and y after while if not tomorrow evening. Thanks for the suggestions.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Put your hand on the torch while it is cutting...if the motion feels rough...you will have a rough cut. From the pics it looks like it happens more on dagonal directions.....indicating some sort of motion issue that may be related to a setting on your machine control.

If the motion feels smooth with your hand on the torch...there could be an issue with the plasma....roughness can be created by:

- incorrect cut height
-incorrect air pressure
-worn consumables
-incorrect consumables (refer to operators manual)
-moisture in air
-incorrect cut speed

Jim Colt Hypertherm
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

If none of the above works try turning the digital height control off and compare the cut quality. It could be something with the height control causing the torch to raise & lower during the cut.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Eggman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eggman »

Plasma cam didnt have any idea. So, a bit slower speeds on the letters and I have been re-initializing it and it seems to help. Thanks for everyone's help.
cafetony
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by cafetony »

this really won't help with your cut problem so much, but you should not run more then 100 psi into your 65.
I was told by hpertherm it could cause the reg on the 65 to leak or even break.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The inlet pressure rating for the Powermax65 and 85 system is specified at 85 psi to 135 psi. This means that when the air is flowing at the torch that the minimum inlet pressure must be more than 85 psi (or the system will not be allowed to run due to low pressure) and less than 135 psi (above 135 psi internal components could be damaged from the high pressure).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

cafetony wrote:this really won't help with your cut problem so much, but you should not run more then 100 psi into your 65.
I was told by hpertherm it could cause the reg on the 65 to leak or even break.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”