Oil Vapor Removal

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Oil Vapor Removal

Post by Stout »

I've noticed an oily residue on the swirl baffle in my T80M torch. It may be contributing to shortening my consumable life. I already use a water separator at the compressor, a refrigerated dryer after that, and another water separator at the PM1250. Does anyone use the Motor Guard carbon filter for the oil removal? I already have two of the TP filter housings and don't know if this filter, M-785C, will fit that housing.

What does anyone else use?

Would I need to clean the torch hose with something?
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Oil Vapor Removal

Post by Largemouthlou »

Not sure if it fits or not but I find it surprising that the oil is going through two of the TP roll filters!! I have about the same set up as you and knock on wood but haven't had a issue,,,, yet..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Stout

Post by Stout »

The TP filters are not installed. I really didn't see the need with two separators and the dryer.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

First - where is this oil coming from? Find the source of it and fix it there. If you have two coalesing filters housings in line put a filter in the one after your dryer to catch any oil. It should catch any oil in your line before the plasma cutter.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Stout

Post by Stout »

plain ol Bill wrote:First - where is this oil coming from? Find the source of it and fix it there.
I would think the oil is blowby from the compressor rings. Which I understand is a characteristic of piston type compressors. The compressor is a two year old IR T30.
plain ol Bill wrote:If you have two coalesing filters housings in line put a filter in the one after your dryer to catch any oil. It should catch any oil in your line before the plasma cutter.
The original question is what type of filter. I have two MotorGuard TP filters that I removed when the dryer was installed. Do I need to get the carbon filters and will they fit the TP housings. Or will the TP roll work to remove the oil mist? Or do I need another type of filter?
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
stdave66

Post by stdave66 »

No oil should get past the TP type. I have one of those after refridge-dryer.
Stout

Post by Stout »

stdave66 wrote:No oil should get past the TP type. I have one of those after refridge-dryer.
Thanks. I guess I'll have to put it back in.....
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

IF you have 2 TP filters put them in parrallel right after the driers. Oil should NOT pass though and the 2 filters in parrallel will give the lowest pressure drop across the filters.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”