Loseing steps?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Loseing steps?

Post by danny »

Hi. I've been loosing steps ( I think) if it is a big file It will start a new cut about 1/8th" or 1/16th" from where it should be. I'm sure you guy's have a name for this but i don't know what to call it. Anyway what could be the cause, I've cut the same file 6 times and it dose it in a different place. so i broke the file down to 6 layers and tried to cut it in layers, worked great till the last one( of coarse ) so i cut a couple different smaller files, perfect . Then I try a different larger one that i had cut before, and it did it again.

I'm wondering if this could be computer, break out board TB 6560 ,motors. I dont think it's binding cause it seems to mess up after a while of cutting like something getting hot ( or tired )lol. I do still have my PC hooked up to the internet and usually have Q cad and sheet cam running while I'm cutting could this be the problem. I do have another PC that I'm planning to dedicate to plasma but haven't gotten to it, and not quite sure what all to take off of it and how to set it up

Thanks in advance,
Danny
2X2 Shop built table,proma thc,TB6560 bob
TD cut master 52,SL 100 machine torch
mach3, sheetcam, 26cfm compressor, Ref.air dryer, water seperator, motorguard toilet paper filter
dgeorgester
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Loseing steps?

Post by dgeorgester »

Is the problem always happening a the same axis or is it on both X and Y?
Samson 510
Hypertherm Powermax 85, Lincoln 256
AutoCAD
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

dgeorgester, Thanks for the reply
I'm pretty sure it's on the x axis but not totally convinced. Because it's periodic and I thought it was more operator error than anything. :( and am not quite sure how to narrow it down I've checked the motor steps In alt-6, Put a scribe on the Z and ran it down to the steel to mark it and they seem to be wright.Any other advice would sure be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Danny
mach3, sheetcam, 26cfm compressor, Ref.air dryer, water seperator, motorguard toilet paper filter
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

What plasma system are you using? If it has a hi frequency start then it may be causing errors on the encoders/amps/system. A good way to check is run the system in trial mode to see if the problem occurs. Just go back to the start position, when done, and check to make sure it lines up. If no errors, then the plasma is inducing them somewhere.

The CNC should have an error counter or diagnostic tool to help locate the cause of the errant motor movement.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

I would try using a different computer. I had a problem like that awhile ago and it was the computer. I know with mach 3 that you don't want anything else running, even virus protection software. It seems to mess with mach 3.

John
dgeorgester
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dgeorgester »

I doubt it would be a software problem. If you could determine on which access the problem occurs, it would then be easy to swap parts between X and Y axis. First swap the stepper motors, if the problems changes axis from X and Y then you know for sure its the motor.

After swapping the motors, if the problem remains on the same axis, move on to swap the drives.

It's an easy way to pinpoint the problem by the process of elimination.

Hope this helps,
Geoges
Samson 510
AutoCAD
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

Stout wrote:What plasma system are you using? If it has a hi frequency start then it may be causing errors on the encoders/amps/system. A good way to check is run the system in trial mode to see if the problem occurs. Just go back to the start position, when done, and check to make sure it lines up. If no errors, then the plasma is inducing them somewhere.

The CNC should have an error counter or diagnostic tool to help locate the cause of the errant motor movement.
It' a Thermal dynamics cut master 52 no high frequency

dgeorgester,
I'm going to do some cutting this weekend and hopefully " It will do it" ( That just sounds so wrong) so i can figure it out.
that is a good idea on swapping the axis.

will keep youns posted thanks again
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

Well cut all day yesterday never missed a beat. I did close everything but mach3 and am pretty convinced that knowing better just had to much crap running. That being said dose anyone have any advice on setting up a dedicated computer for the plasma. I.E. which programs to remove get a pci card any and all advice would be help full. or maybe just point me to previous thread's I've searched BUT me and the search tool don't get along.

thanks again,
Danny
dgeorgester
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dgeorgester »

Antivirus use a lot of resources. If you're not connected to the internet, I would start by removing or at least disabling any running antivirus.

Secondly, turn off Windows updates.

Regards,
Georges
Samson 510
AutoCAD
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

I would run just Mach 3 only on the computer, nothing else. Like dgeorgester said turn off Windows updates and don't have it hooked up to the Interent. I have found that the less on the computer the better.
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

that sounds like a good start, dose any one know how much ram I should have to run mach3 i wouldn't think is should need more than 512 would it.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

512 works..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
danny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by danny »

Thank, largemouthlou

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”