HYPERTHERM PMAX 65 MACHINE TORCH CONVERSION

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
jcplater
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

HYPERTHERM PMAX 65 MACHINE TORCH CONVERSION

Post by jcplater »

I have a Plasma Cam system with the Sampson 510 table. I have been using the hand torch and holder from Plasma Cam.
Yesterday I received my machine torch and magnetic holder. I quickly installed on my table and thought I was ready to cut. However the torch will not fire, after reading around here and on other forums I see that I need to fire the machine torch through the plasma unit itself due to the fact that the machine torch does not have a trigger wire contact in it, which is what Plasma cam uses to fire the torch. Everyone says to use pins 3 and 4 on the machine interface plug on the rear of the machine. Here is the problem - I don't have that plug! I bought the Hypertherm unit through Plasma cam with the table so I find this odd.

Is there any way to get around this??? Or did I just waste nearly $1000.00 ??
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HYPERTHERM PMAX 65 MACHINE TORCH CONVERSION

Post by jimcolt »

I'm not sure what plasma system you are referring to....if you can clarify that, then I could help.

If it happens to be a Hypertherm Powermax65 or 85, and you ordered it originally with the hand torch....then it likely is a hand torch system that does not have the CPC interface connector. For hand cutting there is no need or use for the CPC connector. PlasmaCam often sells the hand torch versions as they cost less......and they suggest that you cut and splice thr torch trigger wires for interfacing to their control box.....you also have to open the power supply and make connections for raw arc voltage on the main circuit board.

If you order the plasma system with the machine torch....it comes equipped with the CPC machine interface.....and with that you can easily interface (and safely) to pins 3 and 4 ....which are the start input for mechanized use.

You can order a kit (from any Hypertherm dealer) that allows you to add the CPC connector to any Powermax65 or 85...the kit comes with instructions....and is easy to install. 228696 is the Hypertherm part number...I am in an airport right now so I cannot easily look up the price....but I think it is in the $100 range. You also will need the connector or the interface cable that plugs into this CPC connector..228350 is the cable number....it is in the $80 range if I remember correctly.

Hand held systems are designed by Hypertherm to be safely used for hand cutting, mechanized versions of these systems have a different torch and different interface in order to make them work best for machine cutting. Trust me....you will like the machine torch much better....and it will prove to be worth the expense. When you get the correct parts...I'll be happy to help you with the connections....email me directly if it is easier.

The first picture is the PlasmaCam interface to my Powermax85.....all of the wiring plugs into the CPC interface connector on the rear panel. Second is the machine torch (with the mounting sleeve removed to make it shorter) mounted on a SnapnCut breakaway. No more broken torches.

Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com Note: I posted this same reply on the CNCZone site.
jcplater wrote:I have a Plasma Cam system with the Sampson 510 table. I have been using the hand torch and holder from Plasma Cam.
Yesterday I received my machine torch and magnetic holder. I quickly installed on my table and thought I was ready to cut. However the torch will not fire, after reading around here and on other forums I see that I need to fire the machine torch through the plasma unit itself due to the fact that the machine torch does not have a trigger wire contact in it, which is what Plasma cam uses to fire the torch. Everyone says to use pins 3 and 4 on the machine interface plug on the rear of the machine. Here is the problem - I don't have that plug! I bought the Hypertherm unit through Plasma cam with the table so I find this odd.

Is there any way to get around this??? Or did I just waste nearly $1000.00 ??

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”