how would you like your 3d puzzles ? (newbie intro)

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
makecnc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

how would you like your 3d puzzles ? (newbie intro)

Post by makecnc »

Hi Everyone!

Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself

I am a 3D puzzle pattern designer and recently have begun converting our Original patterns and many 3d designs from old expired patents that i have redrawn using modern CAD tools for easy use with CNC plasma cutters. as i was getting many requests to do this from around the world.
so I am joining a few forums involved in CNC plasma cutting to help me find what people are loooking for in a 3D puzzle pattern or 3D project cut from metal.
What I have begun so far is to begin converting our puzzles to new slot sizes with several overall scale sizes.
This seems to be what is missing from 3D puzzles for plasma so i am doing small scale with 10, 12, 14 and 16 gauge slots and equivilent metric sizes; Then medium scale with the same sized slots; Then giant size with the same size slots so a horse, for instance, could be made from 12 gauge and be 12 inches high. Then the same from 12 gauge and two feet high; Then again from 12 gauge and 4 feet high. Before I do too many I am asking if this is what people are looking for ?

I am trying to ask this without looking like I am advertising here as that is not my intention. I will do that later if all goes well and this proves to be somthing people want .. I am just trying to find out what the plasma community would like to see in a 3D Puzzle or project. I am able to make custom designs so suggestions are welcome

PS: it has occured to me that new types of 3d projects can be designed when using Metal as opposed to wood because you can bend metal to allow for nice curves in 3d projects suggestions for what i should be designing for you all are welcome
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: how would you like your 3d puzzles ? (newbie intro)

Post by Craig »

Welcome fellow newbie, I know that these are not 3D puzzles but it was my first attempt to go from the 2D to the 3D world. Craig Johnson

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9056
http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8848
Craig Johnson
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Welcome makecnc and thanks for thinking of us. As plasma cutters we are probably fairly used to adapting timber patterns for our use as there seems to be a lot more around designed for the wood guys so it's good to see you asking for our feedback to be able to cater for our market.

Sounds like you are already fairly aware that for us it can take a while to go through the drawing and change all the slot sizes so I think the gauges you are working on are pretty much on the mark as is having size options.

Can I also make a suggestion that with these growing size options you also include more detail as the size grows. I think just about everyone on here has cut the 3D butterfly http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... fly#p23625 as one of their first #d projects.
Image This is not only a fun project but also a good seller I believe because it adapts so well to being cut large or small and real small you can omit some detail where as some thing like the 3D eagle although still impressive cut large, say 6 foot wing span, would look much more impressive with extra detail especially in the body and wings.

Like you say with working steel we also have the option of shaping so allowing for this in the designs is also a good thing.

I look forward to seeing your designs and don't forget if you you need some practical feedback and file pictures I am sure if you share a few files here some of the members will have them cut and photographed pretty promptly.

(Note images used are from members here on plasmaspider as examples only)

Murray
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Nice work Murray, that turned out GREAT!!! Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Craig wrote:Nice work Murray, that turned out GREAT!!! Craig Johnson
Thanks but sorry Craig I cant take the credit for them. As stated in the bottom line of my post, these are some pics I used which were already posted on here by members but your half right they did turn out great :)
Murray
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

makecnc:
I do a few 3D designs that I converted from buying 3D wood puzzles and scanning the pieces and then bringing the scans into CAD and tracing the lines. What you are doing or thinking of doing is along the right lines. The problem I have run into is that as you get larger and use the same gauge, 12 gauge, the sculpture becomes to flimsy. My suggestion would be that at smaller sizes you can use 12 gauge but larger sizes require 10 gauge, 3/16 or even 1/4" plate. I have some samples on my website of sculptures of moose, giraffe, etc. At the sizes I currently make them 10 gauge (1/8") works out pretty good. I have to tie the legs together at the bottom with a rebar frame or they could bend in a high wind and collapse. The eagle that murray posted a pic of is from a pattern that I posted, the sculpture is not mine, I don't powder coat my sculptures currently. That eagle is set up with slots for 10 gauge and is pretty stout except when you get that wing span out in the wind. They do move which is nice but a lighter gauge may have too much movement and weaken and break off.
So in my opinion you should decide a size break point for light gauge, heavy gauge and adjust the slots accordingly.
The other issue that i encounter is nesting the pieces. For my sculptures I make a separate dxf for each piece so that I can import them to the cutting/nesting software and let the software nest them for best use of material. I have purchased a couple of puzzles and usually you get all the pieces in one dxf file. That is fine if they are nested properly to best use available material, usually 4'x10' or 5'x10' sheets. But now if I want to scale one of those puzzles up in size to enlarge the slots to a heavier material the nested pieces don't necessarily fit on standare material anymore and have to be hand maneuvered to nest as one dxf file.
Just something else to think about. Sorry for the long winded post.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
makecnc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by makecnc »

Thank you all for your input
much to consider here
it seems like there should be plenty of demand for pre drawn Plasma Patterns and 3d steel projects with good assembly guides.
as long as i cover all the bases so i think i will do three to four sizes
and include 10,12,14,16 gauge slots
and also metric slot sizes
this should give a broad enough set of DXFs that they can fit most applications
from small CNC mills to Giant steel sculpture so now i guess its a matter of what to make for people ?
if you have suggetions send me an email and i will see what i can cook up

paul@makecnc.com

thanks again for your help everyone
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Sounds good. I'd say birds, insects and animals are always good and it would be a real bonus for me if there were some Aussie animals in there too but understand you need to go where the market is.

PS I like your idea of metric too :D

Murray
ironhorse
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ironhorse »

I think it's a great idea and way to go for choosing 3D as your avenue. I think the biggest thing for any new person to the world of Plasma would be fitting the pieces together using various gauge types. If you are going to peruse this I think your puzzles should specify what gauge it was designed for. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.

Greg

Return to “Introduce Yourself”