cnc plasma bound - Table Suggestions

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

cnc plasma bound - Table Suggestions

Post by plasmaplasma »

Hi Folks,
First post here. I'm very happy that I found this forum, as it holds the bulk of my interests in a smaller package. Extremely easy to disseminate the material. I would like to build a 4x4 plasma table. At this point, canCNC with the Precision gantry kit looks like my best bet. However, every time I read someone else's build, for a moment, I'm quickly swayed away from my first thoughts. You know how that goes!

I'm not entirely new to the cnc world as, I do currently have a desktop one at this time. Anyway, that's enough about me. Looking forward to conversing with everyone.

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Re: cnc plasma bound

Post by admin »

Welcome Joe, I am glad you like the site. Lots of great people here and lots of help. Feel free to share your build with us as you get it unerway.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

xeroFokus wrote:Why have you decided to go with that gantry kit? J/w
Well, there is the short answer, and the long answer. For the sake of this conversation, I'll give you the short answer. I believe the Precision gantry kits are the most economical for the amount of quality you get. However, I will be more than likely creating and building my gantry as of now, for economic reasons.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

xeroFokus wrote:How big of a table do you want?
Ideally, I would like to have a 3'x5' table. It will certainly be purpose built, of course. You know, depending on what day it is, that might change.

Do you have a plasma table?
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

xeroFokus wrote:I do. I started with a TorchMate 2 4'x4' and ended up trading it for one of their 2'x2' units. I absolutly love TM and, while my table is small, it works amazingly well! The 2x2 gets me through all of the art, hobby, and one-off off road shit that have have needed to build thus far. I do plan on upgrading to their newer 4x4 as soon as they release all of the parts. Have you considered TM at all?
XeroFoKus,

TorchMate tables are incredible to say the least. I have always appreciated their mechanics. If I had enough money, I would certainly consider purchasing a TM table. I have talked with them in the past, and I have always been impressed with how friendly they are on the phone. I?m sure this relates somehow, to how they conduct their business. With all this said, purchasing a table from them now is not possible due to my current economic situation.

I had a feeling someone was going to ask me about the table size. As mentioned before, this has everything to do with it being a strictly purpose built. In my business, I need to create parts approximately that size. I would explain but, believe me, extremely boring subject. Everything else, i.e. fun stuff, would have to take back seat.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

If it's not too late, I'd go larger. Even though you're only cutting parts that specific size, guaranteed you'll find something just a bit larger you'll need to cut. Mine's 4.5' x 5.5', and I haven't run out of room......YET. I can also hang a full 8' sheet of steel off the end of the table and just cut the part ON the table.

If I had room for a larger footprint, I'd love to be able to just slap the full sheet down and cut away....but I don't have the space. Thus the compromise.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

I'm curious about how you buy your steel. Mine comes in four foot widths.
Sure would be a pita to have to slice off a foot before loading it onto the table.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

3x5 is the absolute for this guy, and I mean absolute. Many of glasses of wine debating that one.

I'm not going to be cutting steel. My cup of tea is similar to aluminum. I get shipped via UPS, my pieces mainly in 24"x48". However, no problem getting any size from the place I deal with.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

xeroFokus wrote:
plasmaplasma wrote:3x5 is the absolute for this guy, and I mean absolute. Many of glasses of wine debating that one.
Your drinking has flawed your thinking, brah! Sober up and think about the opportunities you can open up by having the ability to slide a 4' sheet in your machine. :)

I guess I should ask this first: Which is your gantry width? The 3' or the 5'?
You know, you're right, the wine does certainly cloud the mind sometimes but, it's so fun. I can not tell you how many times I have bounced back and fourth, from three-feet to four-feet and so on. A lot, that has to do with this, is that I'm hopeful when I can get the business on track again, I will be able to create a five by ten foot table in lieu of the smaller one(I know,...I know). Your not even going to believe what I'm building the motor mount/drives out of. I'm not even going to tell you, in fear of being laughed at. If it's successful, I'll share it.

The logical choice was to make the shortest "arm" the gantry. This will be a three-inch by three-inch, one-hundred and twenty-five thousand thick piece of 6065 T5 aluminum. I?ll heat treat the aluminum and change it to ?T6?. I know, I know, I?m cheap.

Anyone ever use the ABEC ?9? bearings, instead of the ?7?? It was just a thought as the nines are probably way overkill.
plasmaplasma
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaplasma »

OK, I had the opportunity to use a FlowJet at an associates job yesterday, and for fun I created these parts on the fly. I basically, had twenty-minutes to create the file and about one-hour of machine use. I guessed on the bolt pattern spacing for the NEMA 23 steppers I had laying around. Boy, wouldn't that be great if these work.

I painted the parts with flat black and red paint from a spray can. Hmmm, this opens up a whole new thought process.

Here is a short HD video I made to share these parts with you. ...And yes, sound quality is horrible and so are some of the facts I mentioned, sorry.

http://vimeo.com/27085619
I meant .125" and not .185" on the spacer.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”