Moose Head Family Sign

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Moose Head Family Sign

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks it may be 2 people looking at something and not seeing the same thing. I know some have posted their G-code tries to cut the same thing twice. In my image it looks like the thicker stroke developed 2 paths. Like in a trace "brightness cut off" and "Edge detection" result in different path assemblies. I always use Brightness cut off when I trace and reduce the stroke width because I only want one path. I am not saying all should do it that way, it just works for me. David's post is correct as it works just like he states. :Like
robert.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:49 pm Thanks it may be 2 people looking at something and not seeing the same thing. I know some have posted their G-code tries to cut the same thing twice. In my image it looks like the thicker stroke developed 2 paths. Like in a trace "brightness cut off" and "Edge detection" result in different path assemblies. I always use Brightness cut off when I trace and reduce the stroke width because I only want one path. I am not saying all should do it that way, it just works for me. David's post is correct as it works just like he states. :Like
robert.JPG
Tom - if you are using "Stroke to Path", then it will create two paths regardless of the stroke width setting. The offset between the two paths will be determined by the stroke width setting.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well it could be since I always reduce the stoke I did not see them before. :HaHa :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - you mentioned that some have problems with double cut paths showing up.
acourtjester wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:49 pm I know some have posted their G-code tries to cut the same thing twice.

Here is an example with a rectangle having a stroke width of 0.004", and then duplicated. "Stroke to Path" has been applied to the duplicate rectangle.

Both look pretty much the same to the "naked eye", and you would have to switch from Normal View to Outline View and really zoom in to see the duplicate offset path for the second rectangle. I can see where someone might unwittingly apply the "Stroke to Path" operation and not realize the actual consequence. Then after saving the file and importing to Sheetcam they have a "double cut path" and can't figure out why.

two rectangles 1.jpg
two rectangles 2.jpg
two rectangles 3.jpg
two rectangles 4.jpg
two rectangles 5.jpg

The solution here is to go back to the original Inkscape file and delete the offset copy produced by the "Stroke to Path" tool.

David
two rectangles 6.jpg
two rectangles 7.jpg
two rectangles 8.jpg

Last edited by adbuch on Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

Just my .02 cents... why isn't anyone using hairline width? That way when you draw whatever, say a circle, 5 in diameter, it will be a true 5 in diameter. Otherwise if you use a specific width size it won't be a true 5 inch diameter?

I've always used hairline when I used Coreldraw. I'm using Inkscape now and am pleased that hairline width is an option.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

RobertJohnson wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:47 am Just my .02 cents... why isn't anyone using hairline width? That way when you draw whatever, say a circle, 5 in diameter, it will be a true 5 in diameter. Otherwise if you use a specific width size it won't be a true 5 inch diameter?

I've always used hairline when I used Coreldraw. I'm using Inkscape now and am pleased that hairline width is an option.
I think it depends on what sort of drawings one is creating. For purely mechanical parts where exact dimensions are required, then I think that Hairline could be the way to go. For more artistic pieces, or instances where it may be desirable to use the Stroke to Path tool, then having the ability to adjust the stroke width and hence the offset distance between the original and offset copy may be beneficial. As far as I can tell, using Stroke to Path with Hairline results in a fixed offset distance of 0.010". There may be a setting to change this value, but I have not looked into it.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I seems the automatic size is limited to 0.01" for Pen and Pencil in Inkscape. You will need to manually change it to go smaller.
pen size.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I'm same as Robert and use hairline outline in Corel all the time for designing. The only time I change my line width is when I want to inspect my design to see if any lines will cut into each other and I will set my line width to the width of my kerf.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Another Inkscape option - which I have used quite extensively in the past, is to set the stroke width to zero and work in Outline view mode.

David
two rectangles 9.jpg
two rectangles 10.jpg

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”