For Jim Colt. Stainless Steel

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

For Jim Colt. Stainless Steel

Post by Loyd »

Jim, I have a hypertherm 380 and 1250. I may be getting a contract to build 11ga stainless steel boxes. What would be the optimal setup for cutting? Nitrogen? Or should I be thinking of a different cutting system?
Thank you,
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: For Jim Colt. Stainless Steel

Post by jimcolt »

The 1250 with FineCut parts, using air, does a great job on 11 ga. SS. The nitrogen will produce a drossier cut at slower speeds. If you have a water table...and can submerge the SS (about 1 inch)....then I would use nitrogen and the 40 amp shielded process....this will leave a nice shiny edge, minimal dross....the water shields atmospheric oxygen from oxidizing the edge.

Jim

Loyd wrote:Jim, I have a hypertherm 380 and 1250. I may be getting a contract to build 11ga stainless steel boxes. What would be the optimal setup for cutting? Nitrogen? Or should I be thinking of a different cutting system?
Thank you,
Loyd
Joey
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joey »

I have a question for you Jim. How do you keep the water from getting into the torch when you are cutting submerged? I figure the air keeps the water out while you are cutting, but what about before you start cutting? And does the electrical current carrying ability of the water affect anything? I guess I thought you had to have special equipment to plasma cut underwater. I apologize if these are stupid questions but I'm up for anything that lets me spend less time polishing on stainless.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

With an air plasma torch you should not submerge it more than 1 inch or so.....if you stay that shallow....then the water generally has a minimal effect. If water gets into the moving parts and wiring in the back of the torch....then you could have issues with torch damage.

Industrial torches are all high frequency start (no moving parts) and use a gas "preflow" before the arc fires....which removes any water from the torch. We have used these torches succesfully at about 50' underwater for dismantling jobs.

The conductivity of the water is usually not an issue. Hypertherm does not recommend cutting submerged with any of its air plasma (Powermax) torches. There are quite a few users that ignore this....and from what I have heard the torches seem to work fine.

Jim Colt

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”