Knock off Consumables

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Knock off Consumables

Post by sodfarmer »

Jim or any one else, is there a way to tell the difference in real Hypertherm consumables and fakes? The packaging looks the same, the reason I ask is that I purchased some consumables and when I put them in my machine torch the THC won't work. I switch back to a set that is pretty worn then the THC will work like it should. That's the only thing I changed.

Thanks
John
elvenhome21
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Knock off Consumables

Post by elvenhome21 »

I was trying to find the thread that had all the info from jim in it but havent dug to deep into looking. But from memory there were 2 things you could use to tell them apart. The printing on the consumables, the font or the the way it was printed on was different. The second I believe was the way it was packaged. The plastic was sealed differently, like stapled vs blister pack sealed.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... les#p52537
this is one of the threads about it. search under ebay consumables and you will eventually find the right thread.
Bonzi Metalworks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The first two indications are: 1.You purchased the consumables online from a non-genuine supplier. Usually Ebay or Amazon. 2. The price was way below normal pricing.

We have ongoing patent infringement cases in China against some unscrupulous suppliers that are copying our packaging (including part numbers, copyright claims, patent claims, logos, laser marking on the consumables, etc.) and parts. The parts have serious issues with tolerance and with materials used, as well as with manufacturing techniques that cause incorrect plasma energy density and internal arcing as well as poor torch cooling. Damage to the torch can be an issue, short consumable life is almost always the issue.....making the true cost of these consumable higher than the genuine parts. If you save 40% on the purchase price but the parts only last for 1/2 the life of the genuine parts, produce poor cut quality and threaten to damage the torch body...then you have not taken good avantage of the bargain price.

I have forwarded the link for these posts to our consumables team....hopefully they can get back to me with some better info on identifying the knockoff consumables. Keep in mind that there are many genuine Hypertherm distributors that sell consumables online. They all identify themselves as genuine, and with a company name. None of them source their parts from China!

Best regards, Jim Colt

sodfarmer wrote:Jim or any one else, is there a way to tell the difference in real Hypertherm consumables and fakes? The packaging looks the same, the reason I ask is that I purchased some consumables and when I put them in my machine torch the THC won't work. I switch back to a set that is pretty worn then the THC will work like it should. That's the only thing I changed.

Thanks
John
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

I purchased them off of Ebay from a seller who said that he had sold his plasma cutter and didn't need them anymore. Lesson learned, luckily they didn't damage anything. New ones on the way from Harris welding. I would be happy to send you one to take a look @.
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Speaking of consumables, I have a bucket full of electrodes and a bucket full of fine cut tips, all past their prime. Does anyone recycle or do anything with spent consumables? Can they be turned in to the scrap yards for copper? Just curious what to do with all the spent consumables.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”