pricing help on sign for a business

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
rustyhook
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

pricing help on sign for a business

Post by rustyhook »

I hav'nt sold anything major so all I've gone on pricing is gut feeling for items around $15 to $100.

I have a company that wants 6 signs with their logo on it and company name.
I'm asking for the GENERAL CONSENSUS of a ball park price.

Scope of Work

11 GA (.1196"), Carbon Steel, Hot Rolled, A-36, 19" x 45" rectangle with logo and company name cut....824 inches / 55 pierces x (6) signs

signs to be cleaned up and copper patina

signs to be clear coated

.090" Aluminum (5052 grade) background 18" x 44" rectangle adhered to backside

1/2" x 1/2" sq tubing as spacer's welded to backside for mounting and offset from wall

My local supplier quoted me these prices a couple of weeks ago.
(1) 4'-0" x 8'-0" 11gauge carbon steel= $88
(1) 4'-0" x 8'-0" .090" Aluminum 5052 grade= $130

I have the copper patina solvent already and plan to soak the pieces in vinegar oil to remove mill scale.
delivery is 40 miles away and would have to be made during working hours (8am-5pm M-F). I'm a hobbyist, not full time fabricator. I have the drawing/design already done ready to cut, probably spent 15 hours on it.
My table is only 4' x 4' so max. cut length is approx. 46"

I'm looking for a simple ball-park figure of what someone would charge if I brought this info to you and said quote me a price to make this.

THANK-YOU THANK-YOU in advance.
jamscal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: pricing help on sign for a business

Post by jamscal »

Can't answer your question but you can get 11ga P&O steel for a bit more $$$ to save on trying to remove the scale with vinegar.

Good luck,

James
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

The 11ga. steel part with logo cut I would charge $158.58 for one or a quantity of 6 would be $150.34 each. The aluminum backing plate would be $68.53 each or $66.05 each for 6. This is only for the parts and does not include any design time, spacers, painting or coloring, welding, or delivery. Design time would be $25 per hour. 15 hours seems like a lot but if it was complicated and truly took 15 hours I would charge for every hour. The spacers and welding I would charge $45 per hour plus material. Hope this helps.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
rustyhook
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rustyhook »

thanks jamscal and mdwalker.
your input does help, and I'll explain why.

P & O I assume to be pickled and oiled. Did'nt think of that. I tried cold rolled once but it was still tough
to get a shiny finish for patina. I'll check on P&O.

My gut price was $2000 total for all 6. Roughly $333 ea. mdwalker material alone was $216 so I'm $117 more per piece.
take out $375 for design (15/hr x $25) and now my gut was $54.50 more per piece than mdwalker. the $54.50 per piece could be labor so we were pretty right on.

THANKS.

...on my long design time, customer requested revision's 3 times before final approval on design and these changes were time consuming. We are still hashing out hanging options. I've given them 2 different ideas and they are still ho-hum.

THANKS FOR YALL'S FEEDBACK ..

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”