Nebraska Noob

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
AdamE
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Nebraska Noob

Post by AdamE »

Hi, im Adam from Nebraska. Decided to become a plamsa table owner. Bought a Crossfire Pro that should be ariving this week. Pretty stoked! Came across this forum and figured i better sign up and contribute to what looks to be a large sum of knowledge i am hoping to absorb. Really interested in learning to make things that will be functional, specifically drag car / race car / hot rod parts and things of that nature. Been playing with Fusion 360 and clearing a space out for the table "area" in my shop. Looking forward to this learning curve.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Nebraska Noob

Post by Joe Jones »

Good luck!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Adam! Langmuir makes some top-notch tables, so I think you made a good choice. What plasma cutter are you planning to use with your new table? In case you haven't already seen them, the Langmuir site has some excellent Fusion 360 instructional video tutorials.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion

Also Arnold Rowntree has some great Fusion 360 tutorials. I went thru them several times a few years ago when I was making the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360.

Have great success with your new venture, and be sure to share some photos of your shop setup and some of your projects once you are up and cutting.

David
AdamE
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AdamE »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:41 am Good luck!

Joe
Thanks!
AdamE
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AdamE »

What plasma cutter are you planning to use with your new table?
I bought a new Primeweld Cut60. The table was already stretching my budget so i had to try something that saved me a little somethin

In case you haven't already seen them, the Langmuir site has some excellent Fusion 360 instructional video tutorials.
Ive watched quite a few of them, quite a few times. They're short but, to the point.

Also Arnold Rowntree has some great Fusion 360 tutorials. I went thru them several times a few years ago when I was making the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360.
I havent came across his stuff yet, will have to check em out

Have great success with your new venture, and be sure to share some photos of your shop setup and some of your projects once you are up and cutting.

Will do! Thanks
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Adam - thanks for the update! The Primeweld Cut60 (certain versions) seems to be very popular with the Langmuir owners. I assume you have either the second or third generation cutter, as there were incompatibility problems with the first generation cutters.

https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/psa ... ters/19988

Good luck and keep us posted.

David
AdamE
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AdamE »

"I assume you have either the second or third generation cutter, as there were incompatibility problems with the first generation cutters."

I bought it new from primeweld last week, good to go! Still wanting to get a machine torch for it which they didn't have in stock. But found a place called George's plasma shop that likely has what I need and good customer service as well, it looked like.

"Good luck and keep us posted."

Will do! Supposed to be getting the last box delivered today, then I will make sure it's all the and start the assembly process.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome Adam, pretty exciting stuff, your in for a lot of learning and fun. May not be easy but when you start bolting those parts on your car its a pretty awesome feeling. I think Fusion 360 is ideal for doing race car parts and other mechanical components. Wishing you good luck and be sure to post some pics of what you make, that's always great to see.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Plasmanewbie - I very much agree - Fusion 360 is great for mechanical parts and assemblies. And lots of fun to use. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but the rewards reaped will be very much worth the effort.

David
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Absolutely David, learning Fusion 360 was one of the most beneficial things I have done when it comes to cad and I learned it all from online videos, most from the Autodesk site. Will never use it for artsy stuff but for mechanical I haven't found anything better.
AdamE
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AdamE »

Got the table all assembled and running. Had a issue with it binding on the ends of x and y axis. ended up the bearing mounts i accidentally had on the wrong spots. so i switched em around and its running great. been slowly getting the hang of things and have been making some cuts. made a few things from the langmuir fireshare website that were cut ready for fun, then made a simple "damn girl!" sign to put next to the turbo in the back of my C10 pickup. Made some block off plates for where the bed side exit exhuast came out before i switched over to the turbo. Made a quick bezel for the gauge cluster, which is originally for a 2003 silverado but using it since it was easy for me to setup since it communicates with the ecu that the engine and trans runs on. 5.3/4l60e LS swap. Also making a gauge cluster for a customers Chevy Nova, which i still have a little fine tuning to do on yet but making good progress. I will post some pictures.

There is something i have been searching for and that is a dxf of a wood grain pattern that i could cut into sheet. Everyone always does a wood floor in their truck bed, i dont really like the wood part so i figure id meet the main stream halfway and cut wood grain into the sheet metal bed floor. Just needing a good pattern to go off of. If someone has any ideas please share your thoughts thanks!
20230626_170505.jpg
20230629_001142.jpg
20230628_235336.jpg
DSC_0959.JPG
DSC_0951.JPG
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You've been making some great progress and that is a cool looking truck. Are the turbos just for show or functional? If functional, then how about some photos with the body off so we can see what's underneath? As far as wood grain patterns, there are many you can find by doing a google search. Most are intended for other purposes, but could most certainly be modified and used for plasma cutting. Here is an example.

David
wood grain.jpg
wood grain.jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
wood grain pattern.dxf
(90.13 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
AdamE
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AdamE »

Thanks. Yeah the turbo is functional but running very little boost. I did it for wow factor or to add to the wow factor at least. It came off my race car, which i blew the motor a few weeks ago pushing it too hard. So i figure id take a weekend to get it all plumbed and tuned instead of it sitting until i can come up with the money for a new motor. I made the piping out of all the left overs from turbo setups ive built for customers this year. The truck is a 1981 Chev C10 that is LS swapped and full air ride suspension. it was just a trailer and truck bed full of parts when i got it on trade for payment of a twin turbo setup i built for a customer. It was quite the project, but it otta be worth something now with what these squarebody's are bringing in and its a fun driver at the very least. Keep in mind, this is a project still in progress being built with spare, extra, leftover, free and cheap parts that i have available to me.
Picture of the truck the day i picked it up:
DSC_7329.jpg
Couple of turbo setup: The longtube headers run back behind the transmission and merge into 1 single pipe then into the turbo from there. The cold side is non intercooled for now, but you can see the piping running up against the firewall down to the pass side floor then there is just a length that runs under the passenger side all the way back to the turbo. Oil scavenge setup is just a tank that is gravity fed from the turbo with a spare fuel pump that i had that pumps the oil back to the engine.
20230629_072920.jpg
20230629_072813.jpg
Picture of the Nova thats getting the cluster im working on:
DSC_9733.JPG
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Adam - thanks for the update and photos. That truck was quite a project to get it from what it looked like on that trailer to its present state. Great work!!

David
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

Man I dig that turbo setup in the bed! Super cool! What would do without plasma tables!
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65

Return to “Introduce Yourself”