Portable generator question?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Zippo
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Portable generator question?

Post by Zippo »

Have a question reference to running on a 10,000 watt generator, not sure it is a true 60hz. i've relocated and in need of using a generator for a time to power up my Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma Cutter, have access to 110 just lacking 220 at the moment. i know power from a generator is never what you call clean, but has anyone had any good luck with using one? Got a 110 compressor that will work 4.1cfm@90psi. Just worried about my plasma cutter.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Portable generator question?

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

I wouldcheck with thermal dynamics,they should know if the machine is gen copatitable. I sell tractor pto genarators that produce true 60 hz power, I think I still have a plug in test meter to check hz. A simple test is plug in a 110 volt clock to the gen and run at speed for 10 min check clock against known time source, 60 hz will make the motor driven clock run at true speed.
Hope this helps
BTW a bigger concern is, is your gen 10,000 watts continuios or surge
bob49
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bob49 »

In my manual for my td cutmaster 82. it very clearly states DO NOT RUN OFF OF GENERATOR POWER SUPPLY
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ronsii »

I have run my td 81 hundreds of hours on a 10kw genset from the back of my truck :) no probs.... yet... ;) the rest of the time it is in the shop connected to the table. I did have one small problem with the small compressor I was using it would trip one side of the genset if I was doing really long cuts and running high amperage on the plasma, So now if I plan on doing heavy work I take two generators :D
Zippo

Post by Zippo »

Thanks for the info, will check with td, was looking at just cutting some 10g low amps... sure is hard not to fire it up
wonders if anyone would notice the new plywood top kitchen table with an gantry.... :D
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

On the Hypertherm website there is a list of Hypertherm systems and which size generators will succesfully operate them...This will not help with the T-D units but can be a reference for others with Hypertherm. I have operated my Powermax30 and 45 off a portable genset many times.....no problems.

Jim Colt

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”