Question for Jim Colt.....Which to buy?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Question for Jim Colt.....Which to buy?

Post by mdwalker »

Hi Jim,

First of all I would like to thank you for your generous help & advice on here. I started out many years ago with a Hypertherm Powermax 800, which has paid for itself many, many times over, and I still use this machine today. When I bought my plasma table (PlasmaCam DHC2) I purchased a Powermax 1000, and again it has paid for itself many times over. I cut a lot of parts for oil field equipment in 1/2" & 5/8" mild steel, which pushes the limits as far as pierce capabilities so now I am ready to upgrade again. By the end of the year my plans are to buy a Samson 5 x 10 table. I am looking at the new Powermax 85 for the new table. So here are my questions:

1. In your opinion, would the Powermax 85 be the best choice for that thickness of material?

2. I have also read post on here about 2 different models of the 85 & a serial option. Would the serial option be of any benefit on the Samson with the new Design Edge software?

3. I read a previous post about an interface cable that you make. Do you have them available for interfacing the 85 to the Samson table?

4. Are fine cut consumables available for the 85 & can you get the same level of detail with the 85 as you can with the 1000?

Thanks in advance for your help & advice.

Danny Walker
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Question for Jim Colt.....Which to buy?

Post by jimcolt »

Sorry for the late reply.

The Powermax 85 will work well for 1/2" and 5/8" material.....easy to pierce and decent cut speeds. The Samson has a great height control system....which will help you pierce and cut 5/8" with good cut quality and consumable life.

The Powermax85 has a few different configurations (lead lengths, voltages, machine or hand torch...or both, interface cables)....the www.hypertherm.com site can help you choose the correct part number for your needs.

I do produce an interface cable that makes for easy electrical connections between the Powermax65 or 85 and the PlasmaCam DHC2 or Samson machines. It has the correct plug to connect to the PlasmaCam, and the correct plug for the plasma end.....it only works when the machine torch is used.....not with the hand torch. it is produced by me....not Hypertherm or PlasmaCam......and it requires that you take the cover off the 65/85 plasma and reset the voltage divider dip switch....instructions included.

The 85 (and 65) have available Fine Cut consumables....cut quality with these Fine Cut parts is simialr to quality with the Fine Cut parts on the Powermax1000.

Jim Colt

mdwalker wrote:Hi Jim,

First of all I would like to thank you for your generous help & advice on here. I started out many years ago with a Hypertherm Powermax 800, which has paid for itself many, many times over, and I still use this machine today. When I bought my plasma table (PlasmaCam DHC2) I purchased a Powermax 1000, and again it has paid for itself many times over. I cut a lot of parts for oil field equipment in 1/2" & 5/8" mild steel, which pushes the limits as far as pierce capabilities so now I am ready to upgrade again. By the end of the year my plans are to buy a Samson 5 x 10 table. I am looking at the new Powermax 85 for the new table. So here are my questions:

1. In your opinion, would the Powermax 85 be the best choice for that thickness of material?

2. I have also read post on here about 2 different models of the 85 & a serial option. Would the serial option be of any benefit on the Samson with the new Design Edge software?

3. I read a previous post about an interface cable that you make. Do you have them available for interfacing the 85 to the Samson table?

4. Are fine cut consumables available for the 85 & can you get the same level of detail with the 85 as you can with the 1000?

Thanks in advance for your help & advice.

Danny Walker
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Thanks Jim
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Francisco »

Hi, mdwalker

I'd recommend the 85 with the short machine torch, CPC port and 25' torch and ground cords (Hypertherm number for the setup is 087113). Combine this with Jim Colt's excellent interface cable for a painless, no-fuss hookup.

I wish you continued success
Mitch
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mitch »

Just curious...why would you recommend the short machine torch?
Mitch
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mitch »

oops...this is like a really old post...
Mitch
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mitch »

Doh!! looked at join date! ok that part number is for a hand torch. I guess I wonder why there is a long machine torch and a short machine torch? thanks, Mitch
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax65 and 85 have the choice of long torch or mini torch...same torch just a different mounting sleeve configuration. Here is a pic of my PlasmaCam with the mini torch and my Torchmate with a long torch.

Jim Colt
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG (47.82 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
new pics 013.jpg
new pics 013.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

OOPS! :mrgreen:

You are right, Mitch, that number is for a standard hand torch setup. the correct Hypertherm number for the system with the short vertical torch is 087115. I apologize.

The reason for choosing the short version of the machine torch: it's significantly lighter. Less mass means less effort and wear, especially for the Z axis, and better acceleration and decceleration (and thus, better cuts) in all three axes.
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Thanks for all the info. I would think the mini torch would be the way to go if the system is dedicated to the cnc table & not used for hand cutting also.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

One other reason for choosing the short torch over a full is, mounting height of the holder above the table bed.
Plasmacam and Samson tables have the gantry mounted quite low and lend themselves to the shorter torch whereas, the Torchmate system is mounted a lot higher and needs a full machine torch.
Just an observation.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”