Hypertherm 1250 T80M machine torch questions

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
JoeyD
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hypertherm 1250 T80M machine torch questions

Post by JoeyD »

Hey everybody,
I am using a Hypertherm 1250 and want to switch from the hand torch to the machine torch. My table is a Samson with Plasmacam software. I have a couple of questions so I'll just fire them off. 1.) I read that the T80M can only cut up to 5/8" steel. My current setup can cut 1" steel fairly easy. Is this true with the T80M? 2.) Does the T80M use the same consumables as the hand torch? 3.) Is there any additional setup I would have to do to the mount on the table and what setup is there for Plasmacam? I really want to purchase the T80M soon so I just want to know the pros and cons between the hand torch and machine torch.

Thank you very much in advance!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm 1250 T80M machine torch questions

Post by jimcolt »

The T80M (machine) torch ....

1. The T80 M is rated for piercing up to 5/8" (no height control) and to 3/4" (with height control). The PlasmaCam Samson machine has a great height control.....so pierce capacity is 3/4". You can edge start and cut up to about 1.5" with the 80 amp process.

2. The T80M will fit the same consumables as the Powermax 1250 hand torch. For machine cutting with the Samson.....you will want to use the machine shield and the Ohmic retaining cap.....the rest of the consumables ar the same as the hand torch.

If you use the machine torch...you can interface the start signal on pins 3 and 4 of the Powermax1250 rear panel interface receptacle. The other two wires from the PlasmaCam cable must be connected to the raw arc voltage connections inside the 1250 Power supply as recommended by PlasmaCam.

A better choice for machine cutting wit the Powermax 1250 is the newer Duramax replacement torch from Hypertherm. It is just a few more dollars as compared to the T80, is plug and play, and will provide for better cut quality and longer consumable life. It is the same torch that Hypertherm uses on the Powermax65 and 85 systems. Here is the link to info on the Duramax torch from the Hypertherm site: http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products/H ... pgrade.jsp

Jim Colt

JoeyD wrote:Hey everybody,
I am using a Hypertherm 1250 and want to switch from the hand torch to the machine torch. My table is a Samson with Plasmacam software. I have a couple of questions so I'll just fire them off. 1.) I read that the T80M can only cut up to 5/8" steel. My current setup can cut 1" steel fairly easy. Is this true with the T80M? 2.) Does the T80M use the same consumables as the hand torch? 3.) Is there any additional setup I would have to do to the mount on the table and what setup is there for Plasmacam? I really want to purchase the T80M soon so I just want to know the pros and cons between the hand torch and machine torch.

Thank you very much in advance!
JoeyD
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by JoeyD »

As always, you always give great advice and information! I was really hoping that you would answer my questions as I was writing them, and you did! Have you used this setup and which one would be right for my machine?
Thanks again!
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I have a PlasmaCam DHC2 which is a 4 x 4 version of your Samson. I have used the Powermax1000 machine torch (same as your 1250....but 60 amps max), a Powermax45 machine torch, and currently use the Powermax85 which is the Duramax machine torch. The Duramax torch is the best.....

Jim Colt

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”