Torch cutting signal lost?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torch cutting signal lost?

Post by fredfox »

I keep getting this error when cutting out a project,
16 G galvanized 45 amps hypertherm powermax 85 with proper consumables. 510 Samsung plasmacam table useing design edge newest version with advanced hight controll.
Everything works great except for that.
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Torch cutting signal lost?

Post by Dennis »

I will take a stab and say you are lossing ground... just my 2 cents ... Happened to me when I was cutting some coated steel once.
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fredfox »

I thought that and moved my ground directly to the work, it still did it. I also called Plasmacam and they told me it could be cut speed too slow, it wasnt that either. I am thinking it is something with the plasma cutter?
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

If it's cutting then stops, or it intermittenly stops, you may have water in your air. Check your consumables too, they may be at thier end-of-life.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you can provide a little more detail I'm sure we can narrow down the possibilities. Just saying that you recieved an error called "cutting signal lost" does not help much! Here are some things that you should clarify...then I'll be happy to help:

What is your cut speed, cut height?

What consumables set...FineCut or 45 amp shielded?

Are you using a hand torch?

What shield is being used on the torch?

Does the cut stop mid cut.....or right at the beginning of the cut?

When the cut stops.....is it on small hole or intricate feature?

If you look at the display on the plasma immediately after you get the error on your PlasmaCam.....does it show an error code?

What is your inlet air pressure when the air is flowing at the plasma torch?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fredfox »

jimcolt wrote:If you can provide a little more detail I'm sure we can narrow down the possibilities. Just saying that you recieved an error called "cutting signal lost" does not help much! Here are some things that you should clarify...then I'll be happy to help:

What is your cut speed, cut height?

What consumables set...FineCut or 45 amp shielded?

Are you using a hand torch?

What shield is being used on the torch?

Does the cut stop mid cut.....or right at the beginning of the cut?

When the cut stops.....is it on small hole or intricate feature?

If you look at the display on the plasma immediately after you get the error on your PlasmaCam.....does it show an error code?

What is your inlet air pressure when the air is flowing at the plasma torch?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Cut speed is 100
Shielded 45 amp consumables machine set at 45 amps, cutting 16 gauge sheets.
Torch is a M85 Duramax machine torch
Shield is a 220817
Tip stops in the middle of the cut
Mostly stops on intricate features such as the edge of a tree when zigzagging
There are no errors on the machine and when I hit the cut again it starts right up. Just wont go back that inch or so where it stopped cutting.
130 max inlet pressure, minimum is 90.

Hope this helps.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Here is what is likely happening....based on your response.

The recommended book cutting speed for 16 gauge steel using the 45 amp shielded parts is 350 inches per minute. You are cutting at 100 inches per minute. Cutting at a slower speed dramatically increases the arc voltage that the plasma power supply has to provide to maintain the cutting arc....and when you get into an intricate detail such as the sharp point of a tree branch, the machine will actaully slow down even more, further uncresaing the arc voltage. EWith your Powermax unit....when the arc voltage gets over about 180 volts....the power supply shuts down...assuming you drove off the edge of a plate.

Here is what you can do to solve the problem.

1. Increase your machine acceleration speeds as much as possible. Also, if your machine can cut faster....try to get closer to the book speed settings.

2. Reduce the cutting amperage down as low as 30 or 35 amps.

3. Use the fine cut consumabels....these will allow you to cut at lower speeds, and will keep the arc voltage lower....better cut quality on this materials thickness as well.

4. Last resort....flip the front panel switch on your Powermax into the expanded metal....or continuous pilot cutting mode. This will automatically make the torch go into pilot arc mode when the voltage gets too high. This will cause somewhat shorter nozzle life....but will get the job done!

Let me know if this helps.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”