Ques for Jim Colt - Move from Hypertherm 600 up to the 65?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Ques for Jim Colt - Move from Hypertherm 600 up to the 65?

Post by Copp3r »

Hey Jim,
after having taken a few years off cutting, I'm now fully engaged & back in to the hobby. Having spent a considerable amount of money on upgrading to Plasmacams DHC2 table and their new software (Design Edge), I'm wondering if I should be upgrading my Hypertherm 600 to either the 65 or 85? If so, which would YOU purchase.

Sales aside (and having read your posting I very much trust your opinion), what if any advantages would I see in moving to the new models?

Also, I suppose I missed it, but I didn't see what the differences were between the two models other than thickness of metal they can cut. What are the differences if any and what are the limitations (how thick) do the two machines can cut?

By way of additional information, I'm a hobbiest and not don't have full time business going. Metal art is a sideline and while I hope in time to see it grow, I'm not sure how much more money a guy should be spending.

In short, is the additional investment going to pay dividends in the long run?

Thanks. I'll wait to see your reply.

Regards,

Copp3r / roger
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Ques for Jim Colt - Move from Hypertherm 600 up to the 65?

Post by jimcolt »

Roger,

The Hypertherm 600 is a 40 amp air plasma.....that was designed about 15 years ago, the Powermax65 (65 amps) and 85 (85 amps) are the latest technology from Hypertherm. Your 600 has the ability to pierce and cut up through 3/8", and can use the FineCut consumables to do a great job on materials below 1/8". The Powermax65 can pierce to 5/8" and the 85 to 3/4"......cut quality with these two machines is better in terms of speed and edge angularity due to newer torch technology that was not yet developed when the Powermax600 was designed. Further...the new torch technology dramatically improves consumable parts life...allowing for faster speeds, better cut quality as well as lower operating costs. The 65 and 85 were developed simultaneously by Hypertherm...they use the same torch, have the same features, cut identically up through 65 amps (the 85 cuts up to 85 amps). The choice is simply with the need for cutting thicker materials.

Advantages over the 600....more power, thicker cutting, faster cut speeds, longer consumable life, better reliability, better torch quick disconnect, the ability to interface easier (with machine torch) to the PlasmaCam with a single plug and play connector (units equipped with machine torch and CPC interface connector), built in diagnostics with digital readout, automatic air pressure control....

So....do you need the 65 or 85? That would have to be your decision based on thickness, operating cost and cut quality requirements. Over time with savings based on better cuts (less secondary cleanup), faster speeds (more parts to sell in a shorter period of time), longer consumable life (lower cost per part) will offset the cost....or pay for the newer systems outright. There is a good market for used Hypertherm systems as well....your 600 would probably easily be sold for around $1000 or so.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

I switched a few years ago from a Powermax1000 to a Powermax45 on my DHC2......then a year or so later I upgraded to the Powermax85 on the same machine. I do more heavy cutting in the 1/4" to 3/4" range and the 85 produces far better quality and certainly longer consumable life....and my cut speeds are dramatically faster. The nice thing is that I can still turn the power down....use the FineCut consumables and get great quality on materials down to 26 gauge when necessary.
Copp3r wrote:Hey Jim,
after having taken a few years off cutting, I'm now fully engaged & back in to the hobby. Having spent a considerable amount of money on upgrading to Plasmacams DHC2 table and their new software (Design Edge), I'm wondering if I should be upgrading my Hypertherm 600 to either the 65 or 85? If so, which would YOU purchase.

Sales aside (and having read your posting I very much trust your opinion), what if any advantages would I see in moving to the new models?

Also, I suppose I missed it, but I didn't see what the differences were between the two models other than thickness of metal they can cut. What are the differences if any and what are the limitations (how thick) do the two machines can cut?

By way of additional information, I'm a hobbiest and not don't have full time business going. Metal art is a sideline and while I hope in time to see it grow, I'm not sure how much more money a guy should be spending.

In short, is the additional investment going to pay dividends in the long run?

Thanks. I'll wait to see your reply.

Regards,

Copp3r / roger
Copp3r

Re: Ques for Jim Colt - Move from Hypertherm 600 up to the 65?

Post by Copp3r »

SIGH !!! Ok... SIGH... Just had to let out that breath of air once again. Jim, for a tech guy you're one heck of a salesman.
As I mentioned in my commentary, I've watched and read your postings for a while now and VERY much value your input.

Thank you SO MUCH for your immediate response and opinion. Now... do I or don't I... that is the question...

Ah, it's only money right?! LOL...

Copp3r / roger

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”